My aching quads!!!

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My aching quads!!!

Post by CAMERONM »

I would see a good PT. I have learned over the years that the answers to some physical problems are not that obvious to the lay person, and some remedies can actually make things worse.
However, a lighter pack and use of poles are two good things to try for sure.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Great stuff folks! I should mention that I have significantly lightened my pack this year, going from 40+ lbs to 15 lbs base weight and 25 lbs fully kitted for 4 days last weekend. That in itself was a revelation, as I found I never thought about the pack! Really transformative. With I did it sooner.

Also upgraded my 20+ year old Leki poles to the Cascade carbon sticks available at Costco. So much easier to adjust on the fly to switch between steep ups and steep downs. Very nice units for the $30 investment.

Undoubtedly getting PT advice would be good. My physician specializes in sports medicine, so I should probably start with him.

I forgot about elevating the legs after big effort, that is easy to do and feels good on the back, hips, etc. as well. I'll try that.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A lot of this applies to your situation.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4067

Would add that you do glute bridges, to learn how to activate your glutes better.

Another exercise that I have had some of my clients do to strengthen their VMO and mimics a leg extension, but much more safe and productive.

Use a cable machine, set the cable about knee level, clip on a thigh strap, step you right foot thru it and pull it up to the back of the knee, step back, the cable will be trying to pull your knee forward, adjust weight accordingly, step back, pick up some dumbbells, and with you left foot, step back into a split squat position, squat straight down, knee should not go near the tips of your toes, but extend max about the middle of the foot, then stand up, pushing thru the bottom of your right foot and straighten the right knee completely, it should take some force to straighten your leg, so adjust the weight accordingly once you have gotten the hang of the movement.

Also, stand on a platform about 6" high to start, with your left foot to start, bring your foot slowly to the floor, touching only your ankle, and then take your foot back up by straightening your right leg, do a set of 12 for each leg 3 times, when it gets easier, either raise the platform or use weights/pack to get stronger, this exercise strengthens the muscles that get torched during steep and long descents, and which most regular exercises won't help with.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

robow8 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 pm My latest marathon, after long runs, I would lay down and put my feet up on the wall for 20 minutes.
This!
My yoga instructors always recommend feet up a wall after long day of hiking. Always helps a bit:
https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/legs-up-the-wall-pose

Usually you can find a giant boulder, tree trunk, etc near your campsite where you can make do. That + ibuprofen work wonders.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Have you tired a Foam Roller? Those things really reduce soreness (albeit painful when rolling). I train with 60 lbs on my back, and then roll out my quads, back, calves, hips, and neck afterwards and am hardly sore the next day. While a full sized foam roller is impractical to bring on the trail, you could consider a substitute like a bear canister. I swear by it.
https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-use- ... er-3120309
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have you tired a Foam Roller? Those things really reduce soreness (albeit painful when rolling). I train with 60 lbs on my back, and then roll out my quads, back, calves, hips, and neck afterwards and am hardly sore the next day. While a full sized foam roller is impractical to bring on the trail, you could consider a substitute like a bear canister. I swear by it.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/foam- ... gone-wrong
https://www.t-nation.com/training/foam- ... nd-fiction
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

I find that foam rolling is critical to my recovery. It has become my best friend since a basketball ACL tear years ago. I bring one nalgene with me on the trail which is quite effective as a foam roller.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

I'm back into this thread to sing the praises of a foam roller! I recently did five days in the hills with two days of very steep downhill hiking that should have absolutely destroyed my quads. I took time to stretch after walking and got into cold water when I could, but my hiking partner recommended rolling out the legs. I improvised with my hiking poles, which have a ribbed foam grip extension down below the main grip. Hallelujah! Spent a few minutes rolling, then stretching, then rolling again, and zero problems the next day. Just amazing, compared to what I have been dealing with during past trips. I'm a happy camper!