Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Tuttle creek always has lots of sites open and it would be warm at night.

Bishop is a great area for fall colors.

If anyone is going to do Dragon, I'd be interested. I haven't done Independence either, so I'd be interested in that one. I'd also be interested in Johnson up near Treasure Lakes (Bishop area) or just about any other hike that isn't too long of a day - It will be nice to get a chance to hike with some of the High Sierra Topix folks.

University is a tough one for short fall days.

Where's Snow Crown and how rough is the terrain?

I want to come and hike on Saturday and then drink beer with everyone on Saturday night - I won't hike on Sunday so I'll be able to sleep in.
huts

Post by huts »

The Buttermilks could be good. I can't recall where Tuttle Creek is? I would not count on any fall color in this dry year but if there is going to be any it is likely to be early unless it is really close to water. I would think a "dispersed" type campsite could be better (I usually avoid pay-per-view sites) so I'm for the Buttermilks or someplace like that. I think I am bringing hikerduane and some firewood if we are in an "official recreation site" and can have a fire. In any case I believe I would still be bringing hikerduane.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Cori, Lone Pine is open!!!!!!!!!!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have to call when I get back, running really late now! If the majority wants Lone Pine, I'll try when I get back.

I kinda like the Buttermilks too. I'm not one for campsites, and there's a creek. Less bear problems too.

Gotta go! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

If Lone Pine, we could do Lone Pine Peak (I got rained out last Sunday). A more ambitious hike up Mesyan Creek would be LeConte, but it is class 3.

Also, another campground would be at the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead. Since I don't have a "sleepable" vehicle, my trick is to "backpack" over the low ridge north of the parking lot, in order to get away from the close-spaced campground. It's flat and quite nice on the other side of the ridge.
Last edited by quentinc on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Deleted
Last edited by Trekker on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Trekker- Lone Pine Campground?
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Yes.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

The Buttermilks sound like a really good idea for camping - no worries about reserving a campsite and no fees.

In the section on camping in this guide it says that you can have a fire with a permit in the Buttermilks, but that might not be the case this year:

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/oth ... ion_mg.pdf

Here's info on Tuttle Creek:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bishop/c ... uttle.html
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

The Buttermilk area is nice, but last time we camped there we had to step around the broken beer bottles (it's obviously a hangout for the local disaffected kids!)