Testing old rain jackets

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Testing old rain jackets

Post by alc101ma »

This is a slight tangent but don't forget to maintain the DWR. Breathable fabrics no longer breathe if they are saturated (wetted out). I've never had a jacket outright fail on me yet (knock on wood) but I've definitely gotten damp from my own perspiration.
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

I test mine by wearing them in town during rain. Admittedly, this has been difficult the last few years, but I still manage to maintain tabs on how my gear performs. My go-to is currently a 5-year old Marmot Precip which I have re-treated with NikWax TX Direct two seasons ago. It beads water on the shell and has no leaks. The pit-zips aren't so popular anymore, but I sure appreciated them while hiking in a hailstorm at Vogelsang this year.
Jat
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Jat »

Hi. I think there is no other solution. If you don't want to be bumped into Murphy's Law, you should buy a rain jacket. Sorry for stirring an old thread up but I think it'll be useful for somebody.

I have used lots of different raingear over the past 20 years. I used Kookdri and it was very light and tough as nails: https://getawaychief.com/backpacking-jacket/. Good for a lot of hunts but in a downpour we were wet.

Next, I tried the military Gortex jackets. These had many good features like pit zips, large pockets, and very durable. The bad things were it was noisy and after a few years the heavy rain would soak through.

Then I tried Cabelas MTD 050 Gortex. It is quiet, durable and worked on lots of trips. After going to Kodiak and getting rained on every day I was wet.

I finally listened to those who swear by Helly Hanson Impertec. I have used it for the past year and it has kept me dry in several downpours and extended rainy trips. The HH is probably the least expensive of all the raingear I have used.

I wish you cheap and quality hiking gear shopping, guys!
Last edited by Jat on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Jat wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am Hi. I think there is no other solution. If you don't want to be bumped into Murphy's Law, you should buy a rain jacket. Sorry for stirring an old thread up but I think it'll be useful for somebody.
Snugpak Patrol Poncho, $40, keeps me dry no matter what. Easy to ventilate and stay dry. replaces pants and jacket, packs to the size of a nalgene. Totally waterproof, not breathable, doesn't have to be. Best qualities of a jacket and none of the worst qualities of a poncho.

I tried all the expensive super fabrics. Got wet. All done with getting wet.