Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter

Post by SSSdave »

OK people, I am going to tell you one of the secrets of the universe. :)

On those satellite images, the less purely white to increasingly darker gray areas (averaged because is a total per image coverage of sensor cell area) are primarily trees protruding out of snow. At highest areas especially ridge lines they are wind exposed rocks. That is why some of the higher valleys like Hutchinson Meadow or Evolution Valley always have some color after wind knocks fresh snow off trees or sun melts it. And conversely, the bright white areas are mostly expanses of snow mostly covering over loose rock and bedrock, rocky sediments, and meadows. However some of those areas have more trees than the image could indicated as they could be snow covered or encrusted with rime especially if recent temps have been cold and little sunshine.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Nice warm toasty Memorial Day weekend weather. Perfect for backpacking:

From Hanford NWS:
In terms of winter weather, intermittent snow showers are possible over the Sierra Nevada today and tomorrow, before becoming more widespread late Saturday/Sunday. The disturbance aloft may bring down snow levels to around 6,000 feet by Sunday, and will bring at least a few inches of snow for elevations above 8,000 feet at a few locations. Model progs are being monitored for this system as it may require a winter weather product for Saturday/Sunday in later forecast packages as forecaster confidence for snowfall totals increases with time.
And perfect picnic weather for SoCal:

From San Diego NWS:
If the cold core low moves over SoCal, there could be thunderstorms as well, mainly Sunday afternoon and evening. Lower elevations could receive 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain. Strong winds are likely in the mountains and deserts as well. Snow levels will likely start out high, above 7000 feet, but could fall to 6000 feet Sunday night, with some accumulating snow possible.
Meanwhile:
The duration of the heat wave could make it "life-threatening," Weather.com meteorologist Jonathan Erdman said.
Forget the 'Polar Vortex.' Here comes the 'Death Ridge' and record heat for the Southeast
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 208562001/
Feraleyes
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Feraleyes »

Squaw Valley has recorded 32” in the last 7 days. More on the way.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Feraleyes wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 am Squaw Valley has recorded 32” in the last 7 days. More on the way.
Snow looks wet & crappy though this weekend. This past Wednesday/Thursday was the time to hit it.

I'm hoping Sonora Pass opens or Tioga road opens up to Ellery Lake soon, so we can get up out of the low elevation slush.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Getting more interesting:
Memorial Day weekend may mark the unofficial in kickoff of summer, but at Mammoth, it will continue to feel like a winter wonderful. More fresh powder is expected in the coming days, as the resort anticipates snow each day of the long holiday weekend, including 6 to 12 inches on Sunday, according to Mammoth's website.
Mammoth Mountain to Stay Open Into August After Recording Its Snowiest May Ever
https://ktla.com/2019/05/24/mammoth-mou ... the-month/

Temperatures from this Memorial Day holiday weekend will enter record books in many communities. "Most high temperature records across the region stand in the 90s, so many cities are expected to consistently challenge records during the heat wave," Vido stated. "Many records date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s," Duff added.
Unrelenting heat wave to raise risk for brush fires in Southeast into, beyond Memorial Day
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... y/70008360
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

The snowpack just edged over 200% of normal (202%) as of yesterday, May 30.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/ ... 907505.php
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

It's not over until it's over. I was reading the morning forecast discussions. NWS Reno said it might snow next weekend. NWS Sacramento and Hanford are also discussing the possibility of more cold weather starting on Thursday. This is after it's supposed to warm up the first half of next week. Completely bizarre.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Finally got another EOSDIS WV image in with a few areas without too many clouds. Kibbie is now definitely all melted out and Kibbie Ridge looks like one will most definitely melt off enough to do what I did mid June 2017 by third week of month reaching the spectacular glaciate granite canyon below Lord Meadow.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-12.html
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

SSSdave wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 am Finally got another EOSDIS WV image in with a few areas without too many clouds. Kibbie is now definitely all melted out and Kibbie Ridge looks like one will most definitely melt off enough to do what I did mid June 2017 by third week of month reaching the spectacular glaciate granite canyon below Lord Meadow.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-12.html
I've been staring at that EOSDIS image and the USDA snow coverage maps and trying to figure out if my Hetch Hetchy to Verson trip is doable on Thursday June 6. Also watching the FHH Falls creek gauge at Hetch Hetchy and it has doubled in the last 3 days from 298 to 667, so things are melting fast.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

With all the thunderstorms up there I think the snow may melt sooner than I thought. Also, NWS office forecast discussions have changed their late week storm prediction to a cool down instead of rain/snow. Although the forecasts keep changing, I am hopeful that the hiking season will begin in just a few weeks. :)