Pic of Mt. Everest?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Pic of Mt. Everest?

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I don't climb at all and have no idea if this picture is authentic or not, but if so this just blew my mind. Looks like a snowy half dome. I could have never imagined anything like this on Everest, and yes I've heard the stories that there were way too many folk up there, but wow!

Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Pic of Mt. Everest?

Post by TahoeJeff »

Human traffic jam atop Mount Everest's "death zone"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... ar-AABRTz7
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

It Was Like a Zoo:’ Death on an Unruly, Overcrowded Everest

from the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/worl ... e=Homepage
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Looks just like Angels Landing last week. I bailed near the top when I got a window in the crowds. No, not a window in the clouds...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The photo shows the Hillary Step, which old Edmund Hillary figured out back in 1953. Of course it wasn't beaten down into an Interstate Highway then. That is also the general vicinity of some of the Into Thin Air deaths of 1996.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Crux of the Hillary Step is actually just below the frame of the picture...or should I say what used to be the Hillary Step. It has changed significantly (gotten easier) over the past several seasons.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just read that another person died, so now 11 for this short time period.
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtncaddis »

I remember hearing a couple years ago or so that a major portion of the Hillary Step fell off and took with it some of the challenge of summiting.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mtncaddis wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 pm I remember hearing a couple years ago or so that a major portion of the Hillary Step fell off and took with it some of the challenge of summiting.
This is true, earthquake changed it. However the main challenge is still just slogging your way uphill with no air & a raging headache from what I hear. Looks like the least appealing thing ever.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mount Everest death spike prompting review of 'all the old laws,' Nepal official says

A climbing season that's been marred by the highest death toll on Mount Everest in four years has prompted officials in Nepal to review rules about who is allowed up the mountain, after complaints of overcrowding and inexperienced climbers.

Eleven people have died so far this year on Everest -- including nine in Nepal -- likely due to altitude sickness, which is caused by low amounts of oxygen at high elevation and can lead to headaches, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion.

Nepal has issued permits to 381 people to climb Everest, which the government says is the greatest number ever.

The country takes in about $300 million each year from climbing, but officials disclosed Wednesday they were considering updating the rules about who was allowed up the 29,035-foot peak.

"It’s time to review all the old laws,” Parliament member Yagya Raj Sunuwar told the New York Times.

Because of the altitude, climbers have just hours to reach the top before they are at risk of pulmonary edema, when the lungs fill with liquid causing respiratory failure. Mountaineers this year have described traffic jams caused by exhausted rookies in the "death zone," the final phase of the ascent from Camp Four at 26,240 feet to the peak.

Why has this year's Mt. Everest climbing season been so deadly?
Experts are concerned that the popularity of reaching the world's tallest summit has led to deaths due to overcrowding.

Renowned mountaineer Um Hong-gil of South Korea, who was honored by the Nepal government Wednesday at an event commemorating the 66th anniversary of the first ascent of Everest, said the number of climbers should be scaled back and only those with proper training and experience should be allowed.

"There should definitely be less permits issued and more experienced climbers on Everest," Um said.

A feat once only possible for well-heeled elite mountaineers has changed greatly since he first climbed Everest in 1988, in part because of advanced weather forecasting technology that more accurately predicts clear conditions, leading to pileups at the peak, according to Um.

About half a dozen climbers died on Everest last week most while descending from the congested summit during only a few windows of good weather each May.

"Many people are now taking climbing Everest very lightly and as entertainment only, which they think they can do without much training," he said.

For one thing, the climbing market in Nepal is no longer one of the global elite. Anyone with a doctor's note saying they are physically fit can obtain a climbing permit for an $11,000 fee without having to prove they can handle navigating the extreme heights.

While government officials at an event in Kathmandu celebrating the successful climb of Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953 said Wednesday there were no plans to cap permits, another official had a different response to the New York Times.

“Certainly there will be some change in the expedition sector,” Mira Acharya, a senior official with Nepal’s tourism department, told the newspaper. “We are discussing reforming some issues, including setting criteria for every Everest hopeful."

Acharya added that at a recent meeting among officials that the topic of inexperienced climbers was "raised."

The nine deaths this year on Nepal's side of the mountain included Don Cash, a sales executive from Utah, and Christopher Kulish, an attorney from Colorado, who both died on their way down from the summit.

The Nepal Mountaineering Association, an umbrella body of expedition operators, said it would push the government to require climbers to adequately prepare for what Um described as an extremely taxing physical and mental task.

"The government needs to come up with strict policies to control the inexperienced climbers from attempting to scale Everest," said the association's president, Santa Bir Lama.
Source: https://www.foxnews.com/world/mount-eve ... eview-laws
pictures are there.