Northern Norway T.R.

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Northern Norway T.R.

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My old scanned slides are color distorted too (especially the ones from the 1970's and earlier). Photoshop automatic color correction quite often helps. I think the old slides age towards either cyan or red depending on the type of film used. My old slides were packed away in boxes and still had degraded color. I also got some better results if I reduced the contrast (also with Photoshop).

I wonder if you were to simply project the slide on a wall and then take a photo with your I-phone, you could actually get a better digital photo?
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Northern Norway T.R.

Post by Harlen »

Hi Phil, and thanks for the good advice. However, I just want to get the slides out of the closet and see them again. I have finally given up on trying to resurrect my former system of dual projectors, fade units, etc., which has all fallen apart. I have also given up on caring about replicating the exact color tones, especially when I am also dealing with heinous quality slides, which are coated with dust and hairs, and even small insects! Where do they come from? I think the machine is fine, but I am the problem- letting slides accumulate all that crap somehow. I am shamelessly willing to adjust the color and contrast via editing tricks. But how does one get rid of dust and bugs without resorting to WD's high tech Photoshop abilities- I am a "techno-peasant."

I found a great deal on an old, but professional grade, German "Braun" scanner. It can scan up to 50 slides per run, and has the ability to scan them at very high resolution- my real question now is whether or not I need the high res. for our modest needs. It is just so bloody time-consuming!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.