Time for a new backpacking camera

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Time for a new backpacking camera

Post by SSSdave »

All the low light blabber targets the large numbers of users that either only hand hold while shooting, never using a tripod, or shoot in dim conditions like at night at say indoor arena sporting events or inside dim rooms. I have about two dozen batteries with my A6000 and on 9-day trips need them all. Anyone with an ILC using just auto modes and not using a tripod might as well just use a smartphone with a good camera. My new moto g6 takes excellent landscapes for 1080p web display sizes. The serious limitations with smartphone cameras are they are fixed wide angle and one will not end up images that can be printed large with fine detail. That is where the GX9 and similar models have somewhat more value.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The two cameras that I ended up considering were the Canon G9x and Sony Cyber RX 100 (the first and oldest version).Either camera would be an upgrade from my old camera. Both were on display at Best Buy so I could compare both. The newer Canon version had a tilt screen, view finder and other fancy stuff, but cost $200 more. The newer Sony versions also had lots more stuff and $200+ more. I ended up getting the Canon. I ordered the silver version with the tan grips because the labels are easier to see. The one in the store was the all black version. I pick it up Friday. Thanks everyone for all the good advise.

A view finder would be nice, but I really did get used to not having one on my old camera. The tilt screen to me was just another moving part to break and I did without such before. I know this is a stupid reason to choose a camera, but it worked a lot like my older Canon so I would not have to start from scratch learning how to use it. Once I start using it I will let you all know how I like it, or not.

Frustrating, though, that the new Canon takes an entirely different battery than my old one, so my old spare battery is now useless. This time I am also going to buy (or sew) a very brightly colored case so I do not stupidly leave it on a rock!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

One can charge those NB-3L batteries while inside the GX9 from a USB receptacle if it has the correct charging spec and one uses the a proper charging cable. Thus one can buy a lithium-ion power bank plus a single extra spare battery and use a power bank to charge batteries and other devices like a cellphone without needing to have a supply of several spares as I do.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

How has the reputation of the Sony RX100-iii held up over time? The review that Mav cited toward the beginning of this thread made it sound like virtually the ideal backpacking camera for the enthusiastic amateur, but that review was written in 2014, a year earlier than the cut-off period fishmonger mentioned in response to WD's question about used cameras. A pretty quick skim of the Internet suggests that what has mostly happened since is the addition of bells and whistles, particularly involving movies and connectivity, with little to no improvement in image quality or zoom range, the things that matter to me. Does that match others' impressions? If it helps, what I'm after is the ability to make 8x10 to 16x20 prints with a resolution that approaches as closely as possible that of a large-negative chemical print: the print should look utterly crisp even when examined very closely. And, of course, the camera should be light and small—I ain't getting any younger, and pack weight seems to be getting more and more important ;) Maybe impossible dreams, but that's the goal...
—B²
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

B2 I am so sorry I did not return here to answer your question 2 years ago. I am still using this camera after 6 seasons. I have no idea how it would stack up with the improvements and changes available now, but if I replace this I won't be going back to anything bigger and heavier. It took me some getting used to since I had always used heavier cameras that were actually steadier. But I have taken thousands of photos from macro up to wide angle and have enjoyed the lightness and especially the viewfinder of this camera. All my trip reports since 2015 were shot with this.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, and no problem about not getting back. I did buy one (used), and I'm very pleased with it, though it took me quite a while before I began to get photos I liked—for a so-called "point-and-shoot," it's remarkably complicated! Wildflower pictures in particular took a long time, because the "standard" autofocus settings didn't work for me at all, for this use (nor for wide scenic shots when there was something in the near foreground). All of the pictures from the trip of 2019, whose report is perpetually not-yet-posted-but-underway, were taken with it ;)
—B²
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

So, I am still using my RX III I first used in 2015--so I have used the same camera for 9 seasons. It is beginning to show signs of wear. The most annoying one is that the lens cover doesn't always fully retract until I tap the barrel now. Once in a while the camera won't turn "on" and I don't know why. Usually trying again in a few minutes solves the problem. And the LCD screen has a couple of areas that were eaten away--probably by DEET or sunblock smeared on it by my nose. I've worn out two cases. It has sustained abuse.

But when I began to research possible replacements, I can't really tell what has changed in 9 years. They are still selling the RX III! And the IV and V and VI and VII etc. But the more recent versions of the RX sequence don't seem to be amazingly better, do they? The sensor is the same size and seems to record the same information. Am I missing something important? And the price for the latest RXs have ballooned compared to 2015 when I got the RXIII for less than $500.

In the past, every single time I bought a new camera it was a substantial technological upgrade over my previous camera, at no greater cost. But now, 9 years later, I'm not sure that is still true. It is hard to get motivated to buy something new that is a 1:1 replacement, simply because the old one wore out.

So I need to replace my RX III even though I have loved that camera to death. I need something comparable in size, weight, and quality, with a viewfinder, in the same price range, but hopefully even better. Not necessarily an RX or a Sony.

Thoughts?
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

I had an RX 100 II (lost on trail in 2013…) and later bought a RX 100 IV or V. between the two iirc there were some physical differences (lens mostly) but otherwise it was similar ish. noise improved, focusing was faster (not so important for landscapes but still nice), definitely better but not a huge huge improvement. from what I recall the mark II was around $700 or maybe more back it was new.

I have been experimenting with a Ricoh GR3 recently. similar price point, small, fast and light with a huge sensor for a P&S. low light performance is not very good compared to my RX1R or phone. focus is fast but soft at times. no zoom, but I don’t usually care about that either- 28mm is in my sweet spot. fairly likable so far, but much different feel compared to a Sony or Fuji. Not sure if it will replace my favorite backpacking camera for this summer, but it is hard to beat for the size. easily fits in a shirt pocket and powers up in a blink.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

No discussion of backpacking cameras is worthwhile without mentioning the intended subjects. For example, I go after wildlife that is often at a distance, so my Canon DSLR cameras accept my Tamron 150-600mm zoom lens. I have to be pretty agile and move fast after some wildlife, so I use a CF tripod that is moderately light. The lens is on a QR to aid in fast maneuvering. OTOH, once in a while I settle down for a landscape shot using sundown lake reflections. For that, a wide-range lens can get it all in frame. Once in a while, I will be trying to cover 15 miles per day. That mostly shoots down the heavier lenses and gear. Then I shift over to a lighter Canon all-in-one, and I can leave it dangling around my neck and shoulder all of the time.