Rae Lakes July 1st - Advice Needed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Rae Lakes July 1st - Advice Needed

Post by stringbop »

I would change your trip to clockwise (shouldn't be an issue as you already have the trailhead entry permit).
There is a downed tree about 100 yards south of the bridge that can be used to cross over South Fork. This pic was take July 21, 2017 in the afternoon (similar snow year).
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-zTbtIvRbbw.jpg
Downed Tree

And ascending the northside of Glens Pass would be easier in snow than coming down it. There will still be snow on the South Side but should be manageable. I didn't have to use spike or crampons.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-xbzPvKcODxBuT.jpg
SouthSide of Glens Pass- Trail in snow on the right.

Maybe try John Muir Lodge or Grant Grove Cabins. Also keep checking back with Cedar Grove for cancellations (which happen regularly).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

stringbop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:19 am I would change your trip to clockwise (shouldn't be an issue as you already have the trailhead entry permit).
Clockwise is the Woods Creek/Paradise trailhead. Counterclock is the Bubbs Creek trailhead. It would be a change fee and dependent on whether there is space on the day they want to start to switch it.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

you have so many options with this one. I agree with Daisy who -as always- has great recommendations. I would say spend the night in Fresno- if dead set against tenting the night before. that leaves you with roughly a 2.5 hour drive to Roads End-but I would personally vote for Morraine, a little recon, a nice fire, a stop by the general store for a bottle of wine or two.:) grab your permit and head up to Junction Meadow area for night one-a nice riverside spot fire minutes short of the meadow itself provides a good spot for the night. I might just skip Glen entirely and head to the upper Kearsarge Lake. tucked under University peak and Kearsarge Pinnacles its quite picturesque. you could then summit Mt Rixford -a simple class 1 with views similar to Glen Pass. might be a more attractive option to the pass? Center Basin may be a push if you hit Kearsarge too-just leaves you a long last day. id say pick one basin or another and use it as a basecamp and explore? seems better than battling thigh deep slushy snow? either way you can't go wrong :) have fun!
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

fishmonger- thanks for sharing those links! thats great intel. and looks like some well done footage. now I know what I'll do during a slow day at work tomorrow ;)
PointeAuBaril
Topix Novice

Post by PointeAuBaril »

Thanks, everyone. Kearsarge Lakes looks nice as well. We would definitely be looking for a shorter last day because we'll be staying in a hotel on the night of the 3rd before we fly home on the 4th. If we went to Kearsarge lakes for the second night, then hiked back along Bubbs Creek and camped in a spot that would leave us a short hike out on the morning of the last day, we could drive into LA and eat at one of our favorite restaurants - something we won't have a chance to do for a while. Granted this adds to the cost of the trip, but we probably won't be back in LA for a very long time.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I don't know, by July 1st it may all be doable. As mentioned, check updated reports closer to the event. I think you should at least plan on carrying micro-spikes, and probably not crampons, for the north side of Glen Pass. It should be well worn-in by then, but at the wrong time of the day even well-worn tracks can be very icy and treacherous.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

I wouldn't at all assume you can cross S. Fork. That'll stay bad into mid-July. North side of Glen Pass will still be full winter. High angle and, if you're not comfortable on snow/ice, I wouldn't do it. If I had to guess (and it's a guess!) Rae basin will be at least 70% snow. Vidette & Kearsarge Lakes will be great destinations. Even Charlotte by then. I'd not go beyond any of them until mid-July or so.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

What george said! Just because there was a passable tree across the south fork in 2017 doesn't mean there will be this year.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
robertbond
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by robertbond »

I have permits for Rae Lakes Loop entering Bubbs Creek as well. We enter on July 10th so please post back the conditions you experience to this thread. There is a lot of snow to melt this year, but I do hope that conditions exist for you to safely cross.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

robertbond wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am I have permits for Rae Lakes Loop entering Bubbs Creek as well. We enter on July 10th so please post back the conditions you experience to this thread. There is a lot of snow to melt this year, but I do hope that conditions exist for you to safely cross.
I don't know why anyone would believe that the water will drop that much by then... there is a LOT of snow up high and it will take more than a couple weeks to finish melting.

Listen to gdurkee. He works up there.