Bodie SHP... ?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Hillhikerz
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bodie SHP... ?

Post by Hillhikerz »

So visited Bodie for the first time last week and left without asking what this was, saw probably a half dozen of the things in various locations... TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bodie SHP... ?

Post by rlown »

Since no one replied, it is either a heavy duty wagon wheel missing its steel ring, or a pulley wheel for the mine.
Looks like a wagon wheel to me.

You could just call (760) 616-5040 and ask.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I had no idea but I think that Russ has it figured out as a pulley wheel. If it were a wagon or cart wheel those extended sides would break right off with just those narrow bolts holding them on. When the mill was run run by a steam engine and even later after it became electrified there were belts runnig everywhere for everything.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I guess we all know where the electricity was generated that got used in the Bodie mill. This was the first place where electricity was generated and then transmitted over a big distance to where it got used. Lundy Canyon and also at the Log Cabin Mine stream.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Bodie was one of the first places where extended distance power transmission infrastructure was put in use. The scientists and electrical engineers were still learning about electricity, and were concerned that transmission lines had to chase a near linear route from the generation plant to the consumer, else risk the electrons flying off wires following a curve in their route. Hence the torturous as-the-crow flies path they took up the slopes of the north end of the Mono Basin.

As for the large wooden disks: Ore wagons of the era used wooden or metal, spoke wheels. The disk in the OP's image is a belt drive wheel that was once mounted to the cam shaft that drove a stamp mill's mortar bank. It seems all of the other drive belt wheels and large pulleys in the mines and mills were made of cast iron.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.