2019 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2019 Mosquito Reports

Post by ERIC »

mossy (2).jpg
This was @maverick's idea (thanks mav!), just re-posting from previous years.

1 - No mosquitoes or if there are some, but not biting yet
2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
3 - Moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
4 - Heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
5 - Unbearable all day, no breaks, cannot eat outside of tent. If you stop, hundreds
will descend on you; when looking thru a camera viewfinder, you see more skeeters than
lake. If you slapped your arm, you'd smear blood from all the dead gorged bodies

Please do not post questions or ask about a particular area in this thread. Also, include where you went, with dates included, in the "Subject" box. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
wreynier
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Alabama Hills 3/30-4/3

Post by wreynier »

3/30-4/3/19, Alabama Hills, Eastern Sierra: 2

Pesky enough at dusk we busted out the bug spray
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Hetch Hetchy 6/6-6/9

Post by kpeter »

June 6-9 Hetchy Hetchy to Vernon out and back:
Almost no mosquitoes except at the ranger station on the way in. However, the mullen was sprouting in Beehive and mosquitoes are usually not far behind. Probably another week or maybe two of ideal conditions.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Yosemite Valley 6/4-6/9

Post by Wandering Daisy »

June 4-9, Yosemite - never many while walking at any location
backpacker's campground, a few at dusk, but there was a nice breeze so may be more if calm
Yosemite Valley, along trails and near the rivers- none mid-day (I was not out at dusk)
LYV campground-1-2, pesky enough at dusk that people were using bug spray; I just had long pants and shirt (bug-off brand).
JMT - cross trail to Merced Lake trail- along Merced to LYV- none, except in the "swamps" down in the upper LYV
Pohono Trail- none, but I camped away from water in a good breeze

Basically no problem, but they are starting to hatch. Plenty of standing water, but I think the nights have been too cold.
Not many of those in-the-face gnats either.
Pearl
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Horseshoe Meadows 6/13-6/14

Post by Pearl »

June 13-14 Horseshoe Meadow - Trail Pass - Mulkey Pass - 2

In the late afternoon I got bit a bunch of times thru my merino wool shirt. Put on a windshirt and they couldn't bite thru that so then they just bit the backs of my hands. I sprayed Picardin under the brim of my baseball cap and that kept them from buzzing my face. Horseshoe Meadow is very wet. Lots of snow melt.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

LYV 6/23-6/24

Post by davidsheridan »

June 23 -24 Little Yosemite Valley Backpackers Camp - 2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
tomba
Topix Regular

Kibbie Lake 6/21-6/24

Post by tomba »

Above Kibbie Lake 6/21-6/24

Route: Trailhead near Lake Eleanor, Kibbie Lake (in NW Yosemite), Bartlett Creek, Little Bear Lake, ridge above Inferno Lakes, follow the ridge above Cherry Creek to Boundary Lake, swing above Many Island Lake, Kibbie Ridge trail back.

Mosquitoes didn't bother us most of the time, except as follows:

Light mosquitoes in the evening NE from Kibbie Lake, at about 6800 ft.

Some mosquitoes when we waded the Kibbie Ridge Trail near flooded meadow north from Lookout Point.

The rest of the time - no mosquitoes.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Location and Dates Here

Post by maverick »

Please put the location and date of your trips in the "Subject" tab, it helps other members quickly locate the areas they are interested in visiting, and saves me the time from having to update them. :) Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Pine Creek-Bear Lakes Basin, 7/2-6/2019

Post by Harlen »

Does anyone have any mosquito reports, or knowledge to pass on for the coming week? We will be hiking in via Pine Creek, perhaps camping one or two nights in the 10,000' elevation, and after that into Bear Lakes Basin, usually above 11,200. If the mossies are out, we won't take the tarp tent. Thanks, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Kennedy Meadows Store, 29-June-19

Post by c9h13no3 »

I killed a mosquito sitting on the porch of the Kennedy Meadows store, while drinking a coke. :) But while chilling at the river, there were none. There were zero on our climb of Leavitt, obviously.

Level 2?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.