Resources to track snow levels? Specifically in the Ansel Adams Wilderness

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Resources to track snow levels? Specifically in the Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by kylekuzma »

I'm going to explore the Minarets for the first time a week from Friday and I'm trying to keep tabs on the snow, water levels, and general trail conditions. Since this is wilderness and not NP land, I'm not sure where to go to read about this stuff. Is there anything available?

I'm really excited to finally get out to this area and due to my schedule I can postpone, so I'm definitely going out there. If anyone has any tips or very recent trip reports, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Resources to track snow levels? Specifically in the Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by c9h13no3 »

Red's meadow road is currently closed. You getting to the Minarets from the west?

There's also this post, showing some pics around the 1K island lake area.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

There is a whole subforum on HST to provide links for tracking snowpack and stream flow:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =34&t=3791
Be sure to read through all the posts - some later ones have good links.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Yeah, reds road won't be open til late June. Mammoth summit webcam is good getting a general idea of the snow for the area you're interested in. https://www.mammothmountain.com/cams/summit-cam
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Thanks everyone. Seems like I'll need to find a new way in. I'm thinking we'll hit Thousand Island lake via Rush Creek Trail and then get into the minarets that way. I was told that road is currently open. If anyone has any tips or cautions about that route, I'd love to hear. Thanks again for everyones help.
'
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Not sure how aggressive your plans are kylekuzma, here are sone general thoughts: Rush Creek is a difficult entrance I terms of elevation change, I recommend acclimating for a night before if coming from sea level, also get an early start to avoid worst heat.

You are headed to amazing territory, 1k lake is a gem. There are good campsites if you walk along the use trail on the northern shore of the lake and identify trails that cut uphill and lead to amazing sites perched above lake-level with views of Banner peak. Mesmorizing views.

Also, if camping at Ediza, camp locations above/behind the lake nestled in the cirque that leads to Banner Ritter saddle are very nice. To get there, take trail on south shore of Ediza towards Iceberg lake and then venture off trail to cirque meadows. This location could be good for a basecamp to explore Nydiver lakes and Iceberg.

Please post a TR!!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

That use trail around the lake is under snow as is the rest of the area...
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Up around the Minarets and 1000 island, it's going to be all snow, especially the north slopes.There will be lsnow to deal with well before you get to that elevation. The sun is definitely cutting things down quickly right now, but in return there's a lot of runoff in places you usually don't have to deal with water.
cantare
Topix Acquainted

Post by cantare »

Rush Creek ascent is steep, shadeless and hot af...many mules, an active cable tramway, very industrial feel until you reach Gem because of the SoCal Edison power generation dams on Agnew, Gem & Waugh. The trail down to Agnew from Clark Lakes is a steep, rocky, sun-baked 'doozy' of a descent below Spooky Meadow, also, if you plan to return that way (you'll see it on the way in).
cthenn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cthenn »

I'll post in this thread, since the Rush Creek Trail has been mentioned. I have only been up this trail in late season, and only to up to Agnew Lake. I'd like to go up to Summit Lake, and get the view toward Ritter/Banner from the top of the ridge (this Friday, June 28). Question for those who are experienced in this route, is it doable in "early" season conditions? Has anyone actually been up this route this year? Looking at Google Earth, it looks like there is one water crossing at the lake outfall (over a bridge it appears), and then the trail skirts a steep slope on the east side of Agnew Lake. After that, another difficult area appears to be the switchbacks through the large talus field going up the drainage along Carson Peak's western flank, which appears to have another water crossing. We are experienced in snow travel/climbing, and will be bringing axe/pons. But I just don't know if there are "impassable" areas when the snow coverage is extensive. Thanks.