Foodless Trips?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Foodless Trips?

Post by Harlen »

Recently Karl and Andy, AKA Hobbes and Bluewater, reminded me of "Cookless" trips, ie., no need for stoves, fuel, and pots. I was intrigued, and then wondered about taking this a step further- how about "Foodless" trips?" You can take your smallest pack, no Bear can needed- just a cup for water, ergo- Ultra-light!

I'm dead serious, and intend to experiment with this soon, probably tomorrow.

Remember this intriguing Post by limpingcrab?
I'm posting this because it's a slow day at work and I used to think that everyone would choose the same option as me but have learned that I'm somewhat alone in this. I think on a backpacking forum I may find some like-minded souls for reasons that would be obvious to those of us that would choose option two.

Here are your choices and it would only apply to you:

Option 1: Nothing changes, carry on as usual.
Option 2: You no longer require food or drink and are never hungry or thirsty again. However, you cannot eat or drink anything ever again.
Only a few of us opted for Option 2. I think many more of us would have gone that way if Daniel hadn't stipulated that we never get to eat or drink again. How about just from a backpacking trip perspective? What if the question was would you hike without food if you could do it comfortably? (...and then eat your heart out when you get out!)

I don't know exactly why- I expect it is due to my very slow metabolism, but I can function pretty well without food for longish periods. I am interested in what I've read about fasting for health- the idea that humans are well-adapted to periods of little or no food, and that these fasting periods can serve to clean out our arteries, G.I. tract, and other organs-- the brain? I am happy fasting with water only for 4 day periods, and find that I am still able to work long hard days during fasts. So, I guess I have sort of combined the Cookless trip idea with the ideas that surfaced in limpingcrab's Hypothetical Post, and came up with a desire to try fasting while backpacking, or- a "Foodless trip." I am packing (so easy w/o food!) for a 4 day trip from Wishon to the Finger Peak area of Crown Basin. For this first experiment, I am going to take a pot along for coffee and tea for the camps when I'll have a fire to cook on. I am debating about my usual whisky-brandy mix for the evenings- someone (longri?) will surely question the purity of my experiment if high calorie drink is included. I think I'll do it anyway; I like the sound of "a whiskey-coffee fast."

We'll see how it goes. :)
miter basin-019.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Foodless Trips?

Post by rlown »

Bear still needs his food, so a "Bear" can so to speak might be required.
And talk with your doctor first. You won't dehydrate, but your energy level might be down, even if only a 4 day trip.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Rlown writes:
Bear still needs his food, so a "Bear" can so to speak might be required.
And talk with your doctor first. You won't dehydrate, but your energy level might be down...
You're onto me Russ- the dog food! Now Longri will accuse me of eating Bearzy's food... which is better that than eating Bearzy, or trying to dig out marmots and squirrels.

I just parceled out the total food. 5 Starbuck's coffee singles, 4 Earl Grey teabags, with the sugar, milk and cocoa it weighs just over a half pound.
(and Russ, don't mention the liquor.) :unibrow:
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Dogz know their food. :) Simba is on Blue Wilderness Salmon. Don't think I'll partake, but he loves it.
And now Simba finally swims w/o a lead rope! I'm proud.

As long as you don't become a breatharian, I'm happy for you. ;)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Just add a bit of bread, and you're John Muir.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Almost There wrote:
Just add a bit of bread, and you're John Muir.
My pack weighs 21 pounds!!! If I get away with skipping down the trail with just 21 pounds, you can call me anything you like- I'll be that smirking Mad guy.. what's his name? Alfred E. Neuman- "What, me worry?"
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You know, as bad as I am at making backpacking food, this kinda sounds like not an insane idea... but what am I going to do with that pound of dehydrated mashed potatoes in the cupboard?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

What an interesting experiment. And a non-starter for me. I get hungry every 2 hours. Let us know how it goes.
-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

What an interesting experiment. And a non-starter for me. I get hungry every 2 hours. Let us know how it goes.
-Phil

Sounds like you must carry lot of food on your trips Phil; you'll be invited on all of my subsequent "Foodless trips."
Hope you're a sound sleeper. :unibrow:
0415 Off we go Bear!@
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

For much of my adult life have gone without breakfast while also spending signficant months due to a chronic medical injury that occasionally redevelops just eating one meal a day. After a week or so one's body adapts to the change and does not feel hungry except when one normally eats the one meal.

There are significant numbers of backpackers that have poor appetites on the trail while this thin BMI 22 person eats a lot more than when at home. I would not do a foodless trip because it would be unpleasant while I go on these trips for enjoyment and adventure and not some challenge. I am also one that brings a wide variety of food and snacks that I like to eat and not just some boring dense concoction of essential nutrients.