Emigrant Wilderness -- Pinecrest

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Emigrant Wilderness -- Pinecrest

Post by bobby49 »

Apparently the Pinecrest area is still trying to dig out from the winter's snow. I am told that the forest road from Pinecrest to Gianelli Cabin is not yet open for the season due to snow and mud.

Any predictions for the next few weeks?
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Emigrant Wilderness -- Pinecrest

Post by rlown »

If you really want to get out, pick a reservoir as a destination. The roads are generally plowed early to check on the dam, etc.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

The Emigrant has more snow that pretty much anywhere in the Sierra. I'd bet late.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was going to Gianelli Cabin in August '82. We got there, but Whitesides meadow was a challenge as it was knee-deep in snow. We headed for the Wire lks.
That was August '82. We came back out Crabtree TH, crossing a nasty high river which we had to divert a mile up to cross, and had to walk into pinecrest as we exited early. We were dropped off, and had to find a phone to call for the ride. Left knee still hates me to this day for that.
Snow was everywhere and especially under the trees.
Then, a naked couple strolled through the upper side of Whitesides; Naked woman on the horse and the naked man leading the horse. :lol:

Pick a different option for this snow year.