Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin stream crossings

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Bargy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin stream crossings

Post by Bargy »

Hi there, Does anyone have recent info on stream crossings from Tuolumne backpackers camp area to Glen Aulin backpackers camp? Especially Delaney Creek, whether the Tuolumne river is still flooding over the bridges as you get down towards Glen Aulin, and whether Conness Creek to the Glen Aulin backpackers camp area/HSC is wadable (I know the bridge is out). Thanks.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin stream crossings

Post by wildhiker »

You can skip both Delaney Creek and the bridge over the Tuolumne River by taking the use trail/cross-country route that runs from Pothole Dome at the west end of Tuolumne Meadows, through some meadows on benches, and then along the south side of the Tuolumne River to meet up with the main trail on the south side of that flooded bridge, just where you want to be! This route is shorter, too, than the trail. Send me a private message if you want a map showing the route (at least, as it was when I last hiked it about 20 years ago).
-Phil
Bargy
Topix Novice

Post by Bargy »

Thanks so much - I have hiked along that route, but not as far as the bridge - didn't realize it went that far, good to know. I'll pm you for your map, thanks again! Barbara
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

To mkbgdns - I was going to respond to your PM, but you have private message receipt disabled so I couldn't. Try again and send me your email address.
-Phil
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

There is no continuous use trail and what there is is more from large numbers of deer and Yosemite employees that work at the Glen Aulin camp. So just crosscountry using the topo instead of trying to find signs of a trail. At 8480 one must pass through a bedrock narrows and after that the route for 1/3 mile is confined next to the river by a steep slope full of lodgepole pines. At the 8400 foot point bend it is worth climbing up to 8480+ for the view of the cascades down canyon.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been following the PCT journals and they are not having any stream crossing problems to Glen Aulin, although the bridge to the official campground is out. I never camp there anyway. I would just use the PCT. The GCT trail is flooded downstream in places 1-2 feet deep.
Bargy
Topix Novice

Post by Bargy »

Thanks Dave & Daisy. Trip date isn't until July 26. Also thanks for the recommendation to go down the PCT for a camp spot.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Bargy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm Thanks Dave & Daisy. Trip date isn't until July 26. Also thanks for the recommendation to go down the PCT for a camp spot.
I'm planning to hike this trail on July 20th. Hopefully won't be too soggy by then, I'll report back.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Bargy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm Thanks Dave & Daisy. Trip date isn't until July 26. Also thanks for the recommendation to go down the PCT for a camp spot.
Waterwheel was epic, your trip will be awesome. Some flooding at the Mattie lake outlet, wet feet on the PCT. Probably the sweet spot right now, just below flooded but still huge flows in the falls.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Here's a picture of the flooded section of trail at the Mattie Lake outlet. You can avoid wading if you balance on down logs closer to the river, but my wife opted to just wade barefoot. I kept my feet dry by rock hopping. It's marshy for maybe 0.1 miles at most.

Delaney Creek was a non issue. Ankle deep.

If you wait until you can keep your feet dry, the waterfalls will probably be a lot less impressive.
20190721_125118.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.