The BIG Summer of 2019 - Sierra Nevada

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

The BIG Summer of 2019 - Sierra Nevada

Post by rightstar76 »

In the spirit of SSSdave's post earlier this year in this forum (Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19220),
I am starting a similar thread for the summer.

As of today, July 03, 2019, the weather is mild. So much so the snowpack in the high country of the Sierra Nevada hasn't melted as fast as it normally would. Now a potential heatwave is just around the corner. The 6-10 and 8-14 day long term predictions from the Climate Prediction Center show a significant chance for heat for the entire Sierra Nevada (and most of California as well as a large portion of the West). The 3-4 week prediction also matches the shorter outlooks: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

In addition, recent forecast discussions at NWS Hanford, Sacremento, and Reno are indicating heat may start sometime next week. Climate scientist Daniel Swain has also stated that heat may begin next week: https://weatherwest.com/archives/6827

Summer 2019 may be hotter than anyone originally thought.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The BIG Summer of 2019 - Sierra Nevada

Post by Jimr »

Or not. We'll see.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, mid-July and August are SUPPOSED TO be HOT! 2011 also had a delayed melt. I am constantly reviewing my 2011 photos to decide where to go. I wonder if this summer will have a lot of thunder storms. Heat into late Fall always gets to me. I remember when I first moved here, and it was 100 degrees in October. It was also the end of a drought, and the American River was nearly empty. Then came the Dec-Jan deluge. What another shock; the bike trail was then flooded as was a lot of the Central Valley. One thing for sure, the weather is often unpredictable. I am thankful that now I am retired, I can be very flexible with my trips to work around the weather.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Just looked at CPC and WPC as well as NWS Sacramento, Reno and Hanford. Only a few days ago the forecast called for a little heat. Now it's been changed to very hot. Think the snow will melt big time the next seven days. 😅
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

It really cooled down here yesterday...in the 70*s at 4700 feet (NW of Bishop,) late afternoon. Who knows, but, yes...100*s are predicted.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

On my way to Bishop last Saturday, the local report said hot for the foreseeable future. When I came out of Bishop Creek and back to Bishop, it was maybe 80 with a nice cool breeze. It made me wonder about the weatherman's ability to foresee past the end of his nose.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Working on packing gear for 5 day backpack into Desolation next week. Need to make a trip to supermarkets this morning for food supplies. Above image from June 2016 after a late season cold front came in dropping snow that melted quickly on rock surfaces. Will be warmer this end of July trip though just as much snow will be on nearby slopes. Mosquitoes are a question as they could be numerous but I will be well armed.

After I return, a few days later, am now thinking it will be a 5 or 6 day base camping trip to Virginia Lake. We were there in 2016 but got blasted by the strongest mid summer cold front of the decade then chased out before I had a chance to work key subjects from surrounding ridges. Virginia Lake via Duck Pass is just under 10 miles that will take me a couple day's effort to reach.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Keep in mind that weather in mountains can be quite different from that on either side. Here in Sacramento our heat is determined a lot by the delta breeze- whether it is blowing or not. Both north and south in the central valley, it has less impact. The east side weather is influenced a lot by moisture coming from the SW. So we easily could have a both excessive heat and excessive rain/thunderstorms or normal conditions depending on where you are. Also, southern and northern California (and southern vs northern Sierra) often have very different weather. The long term climatic reports, say 2-3 months out, are very broad and do not take into account micro-climates.

So far it has NOT been a "big summer", and we are half way thorough the summer, so if averaged out, I suspect we are going to be pretty normal. Perhaps warmer and drier Fall than average. We just have to wait and see. It is the southern and eastern US that are getting the "big summer" this year. Or even more extreme, Europe. 108F in Paris! Yikes!