Early Sept KCHBR/SOSHR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
milkfish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Early Sept KCHBR/SOSHR

Post by milkfish »

Hey all - I'm planning a trip out of lodgepole for early September. I'm going to link up the first bit of Skurka's Kings Canyon High Basin Route, go over Kaweah Basin and hook up with the last bit of Alan Dixon's Southern Sierra High Route. Here's the plan: https://caltopo.com/m/DS56

A couple questions regarding my exit. Now, I've exited Whitney before so I know that its a super east hitch down to LP. I've never hitched from Horseshoe Meadows. Can I reliably get a hitch there to Lone Pine, coming out on the 12th if I'm there by 2pm or is it too late in the season to be reliable. I can always book Eastern Sierra Shuttle if need be, just not sure if I need to.

Also, though I do really want to hit that last section, I'm kind of torn, as I can easily add some stuff in the middle and do a day 8 exit via WP. I'm looking for recommendations to consider there. Obvious options are 2 nights at Pickett and tag Pickett Guard Peak, or head up into Wright Lakes Basin. What other goodies will I be near that I'm missing here?

Thanks for your feedback!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Early Sept KCHBR/SOSHR

Post by Bishop_Bob »

From my experience, Horseshoe stays pretty active in September. Should be an easy hitch.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Two years ago I had come across on the HST, up and down Whitney on the west side, and then I took one long day to exit out to Horseshoe Meadow. As a result of that long day, I was pretty well wasted when I hit the Horseshoe Meadow hikers parking lot. I started walking down the middle of the road when a driver came up behind me. He offered me a ride to Lone Pine and would not accept a donation to his gasoline fund, so I got to the hostel a little after dark.

Horseshoe Meadow can be a pretty active place during the daytime hours, but then there may be little traffic after sunset. If you do come out to Horseshoe Meadow, I recommend walking as far as the first road intersection to try to hitch (maybe one third of a mile). The upper road has the horse trailer parking, so if anybody was leaving, it is more likely to be from there.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

milkfish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 am Also, though I do really want to hit that last section, I'm kind of torn, as I can easily add some stuff in the middle and do a day 8 exit via WP.
I would vote for adding stuff in the middle and exiting via WP. The logic being that the Kaweah Basin is so remote, once you're there why not spend some time exploring?
milkfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by milkfish »

TurboHike wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:17 pm
I would vote for adding stuff in the middle and exiting via WP. The logic being that the Kaweah Basin is so remote, once you're there why not spend some time exploring?
I definitely concede that point - I have just wanted to tag that section of SoSHR for a while.. Either way this is good to know my options are open in that I can do an extra day in the basin or finish at Horseshoe and not have zero chances of finding a hitch.
milkfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by milkfish »

Oh, one additional question - if my permit is to exit via Cottonwood/Horseshoe, what happens if I decide to exit via Portal? Is that allowed?
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

milkfish wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 am Oh, one additional question - if my permit is to exit via Cottonwood/Horseshoe, what happens if I decide to exit via Portal? Is that allowed?
You need to get a special permit to exit Whitney Portal.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

You need to get a special permit to exit Whitney Portal.
Really? Isn't it that anyone who originates in SEKI is free to exit anywhere on the Inyo side?

Re: schedule, your days 4-5 cumulatively look pretty long, I would add one more day in there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just looked at the map. It looks like you will just travel through and not camp in Keweah Basin. That is a big mistake. It takes a lot of effort to get there and there is wonderful camping at the lower lakes. I also think you should add a day there. It is not a place that you can easily get back to again, so best take advantage of it.
milkfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by milkfish »

My Day 4 ends at island lake at the very end of Kaweah Basin, then the next day I’m going over to the last lake on Picket Creek, drop my gear and tag Picket Guard Peak. I’ll camp back at the lake. If I’m missing something else really good over here please let me know!