Class 3 options and Mt Hoffman

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
mdfreiberg
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Class 3 options and Mt Hoffman

Post by mdfreiberg »

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and to the NorNev area. I will be researching the forum for answers to my questions, but wanted to put this out there. Assuming Mt Hoffman is accessible (I'm not optimistic it is), does anyone have information about class 3 or 3+ routes? SW Ridge or otherwise? Or know where I can find it because google isn't getting me there. If not, are there any other peaks you would recommend that would be good tune ups for this kind of climbing? For anyone who is going to respond, for a baseline, I am working on getting all of the Colorado 14ers (32/58) done and have a trip planned in August. Just need some good 3, 3+ or 4 options that are within a few hours drive from Reno. Thanks in advance. I know these newby questions pop up a lot, but I will be looking for threads and researching as time goes on. Cheers and thanks in advance.

-Mike Freiberg
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Class 3 options and Mt Hoffman

Post by bobby49 »

Are you asking about Mount Hoffmann, 10850' in the center of Yosemite?

Most of the steep climbing is on the north side. The south side has the "thumb," but I haven't been up there in about thirty years.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

If you are new to Reno, and have not explored desolation Wilderness yet, it is close by. Here is a link to the desolation triple crown, which strings together three peaks and has class 2 and class 3 sections. http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... own#p76828
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Here are some other class 3 and class 4 peaks that would be on my list, with a disclaimer that I have not claimed them yet.

Mt. Haeckel (approach from Sabrina Basin)
Middle Palisade (14er)
Mt. Tyndall and Williamson (both 14ers approached from Shepherd Pass)
University peak (from Onion Valley)
Banner Peak combo with Mt. Ritter (longish approach hike but approaching from meadows north lake Ediza or from 1000 island lakes provide beautiful places to camp)
Mt. Conness (approach from Saddlebag lake)
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

My final mention, as you are new to Reno, I'm not sure if you were aware of the Ogul list of Tahoe area peaks (63 peak list) http://www.tahoeogul.org/
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Castle Peak & Round Top are probably the closest class 3 climbs to Reno in the Sierra I can think of and are easy & fun half days. Jeff Davis has a class 4 rating, but I've heard it's a choss pile. Haven't done it myself. I've heard Needle Peak & Rubicon also have class 3 summit blocks.

But yeah, if you want sustained hundreds of feet of class 3, gotta go further south to Yosemite/Higher Sierra.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mdfreiberg
Topix Newbie

Post by mdfreiberg »

First off, Thanks so much to all of you who have commented. I really appreciate the guidance and definitely will be using information from each of you. I hope I get to the point of gaining enough knowledge of the area to help repay the favor with advice when others need it. I may look for some options closer to Reno this weekend and will respond on here on what ever I climb. Again, thanks a ton.

PS: Yes, the Mt Hoffman I was speaking of is the one in Yosemite.

Cheers,
Mike
mdfreiberg
Topix Newbie

Post by mdfreiberg »

FYI, at David Sheridan. Got your PM. The system is not allowing me to reply (unless I'm blind to the reply function), so I'll message you here. Yes, that was me and the wife on the way to Half Dome and thank you for pointing me in the right direction regarding climbing research. I couldn't be more appreciative. Once the system allows me to reply I will send more in a PM. Hope you're doing well.

Cheers,
Mike
96avs01
Topix Novice

Post by 96avs01 »

One of my favorite Class 3 peaks in the Sierra is Dragon Peak (from Onion Valley trailhead). Easy to add on Mt. Gould to a loop.

And while the views from Mt Hoffman are quite nice, I personally feel they are surpassed by those from Clouds Rest. Which reminds me, one of these days I finally need to tag Mt Clark.
Last edited by 96avs01 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shuteye »

From the main trail approach, circle around the east side of May Lake and up open slabs to the saddle between North Ridge of Mount Hoffman and Peak 10627. Most of it is class 3 but the short tricky top is 4+ bringing you to the base of short secure easy chimney. A 20' cord to haul your pack will help. Tops out 20 minutes from the summit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.