TR-Wapama, Glacier Pt, Tuolumne River, Rainbow Falls.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR-Wapama, Glacier Pt, Tuolumne River, Rainbow Falls.

Post by brianA »

My daughter Kayley is not a hiker. However, after hearing about my trips, and seeing my pictures, she decided she wanted to take a Yosemite/Mammoth trip herself. Since she had done zero training, my thought was to drive her to overlooks, and take her on, flat, easy, scenic, short day hikes. But something happened. When we got to O'Shaughnessy Dam, and could see Wapama Falls still raging in the distance from the unusual mid July heavy snow melt, she said "Let's go see the falls!" Again, my thought was that we'd by turning around at the 1/2 mile mark. Still a fun hike through the tunnel with nice views of Kolana. I let her lead the way, and decide when she wanted to turn around. She made it past the fifth bridge. A moderate hike to the rest of us, to her it must have seemed like climbing Koip Peak. We got a nice surprise below Tueeulala Falls to give us an adrenaline rush for the hike out (see pic below). By the way, Wapama is now safe with the water only splashing onto the first bridge.

The next day she put in about the same amount of mileage through Mariposa Grove, Glacier Point, and some valley hikes. Being really tired the third day, the drive over Tioga Pass was going to be scenic enough without any hikes, but I talked her into a short hike out of the Dog Lake parking lot heading south on the PCT. It's 1.1 miles out to the footbridges on the Tuolumne River. That's one of my favorite serene spots in Yosemite, but always being on the way to Merced Lake, or Lake Ireland twice, I've never stopped for more than a minute. This time was perfectly lazy, especially since the river was still high, and the meadow lush.

The last day, since she was really tired and sore, the short, mostly flat hike out to The Devil's Postpile near Mammoth Lakes was going to be enough. We were lounging at Devils, when I noticed another, baby postpile in front of the main one nearer the river. There was a little use trail to the top with lovely, new views of both. We were resting, getting ready to head back to catch the next bus when it happened again. Kayley said, "Let's go to Rainbow Falls!" Knowing how hurting she was, I tried to talk her out of it, but down the trail we headed. Not only that, she hiked down to the base of the falls. With heavy snow still on The Minarets, Banner, and Ritter, the falls were humming, as were the many different angled rainbows.

When we were driving home, she talked of gearing up, and training for upper Yosemite Falls next summer. I was so proud, and amazed at her determination having done zero training for this trip. I've come to believe that I was wrong about my earlier statement. It seems that my daughter is a hiker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR-Wapama, Glacier Pt, Tuolumne River, Rainbow Falls.

Post by rlown »

Way to go, Kayley!
Great work, dad!!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nice, were the crowds bad? Yosemite is my go-to spot with low mileage guests, but I'm always scared of traffic and long waits this time of year. And where'd you stay overnight?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for sharing! I've never seen a big cat in the wild -- nice job capturing that photo.
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

c9h,

The valley, Glacier, and Mariposa Grove were all crowded. But, unbelievably, Tioga Pass had very few travelers. Normally, this time of year one cannot find a parking spot at the Tuolumne Meadows store. There were only two cars in the lot. Same with Wapama. I've heard that it's very difficult to see a bobcat this time of year because of all the crowds in Yosemite. They don't come out from hiding until September. We saw two at Wapama. Or the same one twice, two miles apart. We were happy staying in an airbb near Mariposa, about 45 minutes from the park entrances. Better food!
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

She sounds like a trooper. Get her out overnight on some easy 2 or 3 day hikes and she will want to go with you for a long time to come.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Great job Kayley! Next generation HST member and champion of the outdoors! Great bobcat pic. Absolutely beautiful. Your next task is to plan the next trip....
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Wow! I have never seen a bobcat from the trail, let alone one who was placidly waiting to have his picture taken! Amazing. And contrats Kayley on your hiking! I hope it becomes something you will enjoy forever.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The good news is that Kayley, being young, doesn't need to train nearly as much as you do...and in a few years you'll find her patiently waiting for you at the top of each pass. Even worse, she'll offer you words of encouragement....I speak from experience!

Amazing bobcat photo and sighting. Truly amazing.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963