Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by Harlen »

Mort writes:
All approaches look to be steep or cliffy.
-mort
I'd say you have the perfect name to descend this slope back down to Cloud Canyon (and your set on the other side too). I had a lot of difficulty, but I was off-route too. See oldhiker's great route description.

100_0270.jpg
Steep!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Lisa and I are officially bailing. Partly the snow, but mostly work obligations that requires me to shorten the trip to be back at work on that Thursday. We're going somewhere, but not sure where at this time.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

I actually might make the Meetup after Jim heads home. Depends on conditions, obviously. I'd probably plan to camp at Lake 11,200 on Tuesday evening and drop down to Deadman via Big Bird on Wednesday.

Watching not just the snow cover/melt, but also for any thunderstorm activity, which would make going through Tablelands a dicey proposition. [And if I can't go through Tablelands, I won't go at all...Elizabeth Pass is not going to melt, and I don't much care for the trail approaches via Sugarloaf or Avalanche.]

- Oleander
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Looks like there might be a strong monsoonal flow during the meet-up time frame that's been showing up on the model for the last couple of runs at least. Something to watch out for.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

The NOAA forecast discussion also mentions a monsoonal flow that could result in thunderstorms about a week from today. Will be watching how this develops.
...At some point in the 5 to 7 day period, the models forecast the onset of the monsoon over Arizona. We`ll need to keep a close eye on this tropical moisture by then because it could creep far enough westward in the 7-10 day period to bring a threat of isolated thunderstorms to our mountains and desert. For at least the next 7 days though, dry weather will prevail over the central California interior...
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Jimr wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm Lisa and I are officially bailing. Partly the snow, but mostly work obligations that requires me to shorten the trip to be back at work on that Thursday. We're going somewhere, but not sure where at this time.
And my plans to mooch off some fishing lessons gets thwarted once again, :lol:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry, but I shall not be making the Meetup either.

We are working out of temp kitchen trailers since late May, while they remodel our kitchen and dining hall, making work a little complicated, and less room for errors. Construction was supposed to be completed in Oct, then Nov, and now maybe in Dec. :\

My summer camp numbers have increased for the next two weeks, and are just to high for me to get away, then add on that one of my employees is having foot/toe issues again, due their diabetes, and my temp helper for the summer had to leave for the next 2 weeks, so this officially smothered any flickering hope I had to get away for the Meetup.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Go Mav!.. I'll come down and fill in.. :nod:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Go Mav!.. I'll come down and fill in.. :nod:
:lol:
I do want a job to come back to Russ.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Could someone give more clues about climbing from Deadman Canyon up to Meetup location? I'm wondering if the best route is to climb along the outlet stream (as @oldranger suggested earlier in this thread?). In Google Earth, it looks like there may be (easy?) grassy slopes about 1/3 mile south of the outlet stream, leading towards the lowest lake. I'm wondering if that route could work too? --Thanks.