Emigrant trip advice around Big/Hyatt lakes area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Emigrant trip advice around Big/Hyatt lakes area

Post by adam »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:01 am For what it is worth, here are some of the routes/trails that I used in 2018
thanks so much for that map. I'm intrigued by the line down the north fork of cherry creek- what was that like? would it be viable to go along the edge of lord meadow and then west, and back north up to big lake?

thanks again,
adam
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yep. The route we took crossed the creek between the N and the I on that map...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have not walked every line on that map; it is my planning map. The northwest side of Lord Meadow is quite nasty (choked with brush and deadfall). I had planned on going further up Cherry Creek but with the high water, continuing on the NW side was too slow and the creek too deep to cross. Instead I went back up to Hyatt Lake. When the creek is low, as it is in late season, you can walk in the streambed a lot so going up Cherry Creek all the way to Cow Meadow Lake would be possible.

Following the creek up to Yellowhammer Lake looked quite feasible. You may get into some brush along the route.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

balzaccom wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 pm Yep. The route we took crossed the creek between the N and the I on that map...
The route on my map avoids almost all bushwacking. There are a couple of places at the end that require a little rock scrambling though. Not difficult but I'm going to try Balzacom's route the next time I head into Hyatt. Walking on rock sounds better.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Thanks again for the help. Right after posting wondering about N fork cherry creek, I found a wilderness press pinecrest guidebook on my parents' shelf from 1976 that described a trail going there, "now fallen into disuse".
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 pm I have not walked every line on that map; it is my planning map. The northwest side of Lord Meadow is quite nasty (choked with brush and deadfall). I had planned on going further up Cherry Creek but with the high water, continuing on the NW side was too slow and the creek too deep to cross. Instead I went back up to Hyatt Lake. When the creek is low, as it is in late season, you can walk in the streambed a lot so going up Cherry Creek all the way to Cow Meadow Lake would be possible.

Following the creek up to Yellowhammer Lake looked quite feasible. You may get into some brush along the route.
I've hiked from Huckleberry along the East fork of Cherry Creek, up the stream to Yellowhammer and over the little saddle into Big lake. Navigating up the stream is easy but it's steep. Lord Meadow is very nasty, I have no desire to slog through there again!

Here is the map of my route.
East Fork Cherry.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

adam wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 pm Thanks again for the help. Right after posting wondering about N fork cherry creek, I found a wilderness press pinecrest guidebook on my parents' shelf from 1976 that described a trail going there, "now fallen into disuse".
I've taken a route from the South side of Yellowhammer descending a steep granite ramp into the North Fork. We hiked up the creek and then cut cross country up to Red Can before Cow Meadow. Hiking along the creek is easy. The canyon is very scenic with lots of open granite and cool little waterfalls.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

As someone that has been down along the rarely visited West Fork of Cherry Creek early season, a mile below where mschnaidt crossed, the notion of crossing the creek at a time when people are still having trouble crossing Buck Creek well up that creek had me wondering. So brought up where it shows he crossed at 6600 feet that shows the creek branching out widely as it cascades down glaciated bedrock. So indeed that looks like it would be crossable though just at that one spot.
WFCherryCr1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Here is another spot (38:7:14.27619,119:51:28.85369) that my friend waded across on July 7 2017. He made it across ok but we chose not to risk it with our packs and explored the North side of creek that trip instead. It was over waist deep and moving strong closer to the far bank. The footing got dicey.

If you try this crossing please be extremely careful and be prepared to not cross! The creek level varies significantly throughout the day and is very cold. The creek is spectacular in high water with lots of waterfalls and is a great plan b.

Be safe!!!

Cherry 2017 07 07.jpg
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Plan b...

20190711_110531.jpg
20170707_191355.jpg
20170707_135639.jpg