Cloud canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Teri
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Cloud canyon

Post by Teri »

In August we will be hiking out of Roads End to Deadman Canyon, over Elizabeth and Coppermine passes, and down Cloud Canyon to Colby pass trail, which we will take southeast to the JMT and then back to RE via Woods Creek. My question is this: in Cloud Canyon will it be better for us to stay on the east or west side of the creek? I don't want to add an additional crossing of roaring river at Colby Pass trail if I can avoid it. Also, any particular spot in Cloud canyon great for camping?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Cloud canyon

Post by oldranger »

Not sure why you would go over Elizabeth then Coppermine unless you really meant to Elizabeth then across to Coppermine. Heading directly to Coppermine will cut travel time for that section in half. Keep on the w. Side of the river from Coppermine down to the ford where the trail crosses the creek then ford. There actually is the old mining trail down the w. side but the travel is easy once you drop down to creekside so don't try to exactly follow the trail as it will take more time.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Teri
Topix Novice

Post by Teri »

Yes we are just going up to Elizabeth and across to Coppermine. Thanks for the info oldranger.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Ranger Cindy at the Roaring River ranger station told me in 2017 that the old miner's trail from the upper part of Deadman Canyon to the Copper Mine can still be followed and she has taken horses up it! Apparently, it starts somewhere in the area where the Elizabeth Pass trail crosses the creek just above a waterfall and then heads directly up slope to the old Copper Mine.
-Phil
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

She told Lisa and I about it as well. Last month when she was chained to a desk at Grant Grove.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

If you start at Wolverton and pass thru the Tablelands you have very nice access to upper Elizabeth canyon and coppermine pass.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

oldranger wrote:
Heading directly to Coppermine will cut travel time for that section in half.
Teri, Here's a look at the upper portion of the old miner's trail between Elizabeth Pass and Coppermine. Note that it crosses over to the south side of the Kings-Kaweah Divide.

100_0550.jpg
View west from Coppermine Peak. Elizabeth Pass is the white saddle- lowest point on the ridge a quarter mile east of "Fin Col" or "Horn Col," which is the big dry saddle at the very far right of the frame.
This was October 2018 just after a brief snowstorm. Best of luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Teri
Topix Novice

Post by Teri »

Thanks Harlen - perfect picture.