Best time for sky pilot (Polemonium) on Mount Dana?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Best time for sky pilot (Polemonium) on Mount Dana?

Post by RSC »

My wife and I always seem to be just a little late for sky pilot (Polemonium eximium) in the high country. So we're thinking about making a trip to Mount Dana specifically for this. Any idea what would be the best date for this in 2019?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best time for sky pilot (Polemonium) on Mount Dana?

Post by bobby49 »

It varies from year to year depending on how much winter snow there was and how much moisture still remains in the sandy soil. There are two high altitude species that I look for, Polemonium eximium (Sky Pilot) and also Hulsea algida (Alpine Gold). I watched these for decades on the Mount Whitney Trail. Sky Pilots like a little more cool shade and a bit of moisture in the soil. Alpine Gold likes a bit more direct sun and a little less moisture in the soil. As a result, it is unusual to find both species together. I've photographed the two together on Mount Whitney several times now. The lowest elevation that I've seen either is around 12,000 feet.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

My boyfriend was on top July 1st and they were just starting to bloom on Dana.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, from my little experience, it's been roughly a month after the snow melts that they're peaking.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by RSC »

I want to thank everyone for their responses. We ended up climbing yesterday, July 22. They seemed to be in prime time for blooming, and there was a veritable garden of them. You have to get almost all the way to the summit, though.