Mono / Parker Pass Trail Conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gswhoops
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mono / Parker Pass Trail Conditions?

Post by gswhoops »

Hi all, I've got permits to backpack Mono / Parker Pass area of Yosemite July 20/21. Does anyone have any trail reports / photos of the current snow conditions in that area? We'd like to try and summit Koip and/or Kuna Peak if possible as well.

Yosemite backcountry office says above 9,000 there is snow, but they also said that they hadn't been up there to check in person.

Thanks!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Mono / Parker Pass Trail Conditions?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Learn to use this tool, so you can make images like this:
patchy_snow.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

I was on top of Mammoth last Thursday, and snapped this photo. Koip is the one on the far right. I did the Koip trip a few years ago, and was amazed at all the snow up there this year. That's why I took the pic. Better bring an ice axe, and crampons. Plus, it's unlikely you'll spot the WW2 B24 wreckage just above the Kuna Glacier. Another reason to visit the two peaks. However, according to c9h's satellite image, the Parker Switchbacks are clear, as are Koip Peak Pass, and Parker Peak. Parker Peak might be a safer option. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gswhoops
Topix Newbie

Post by gswhoops »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 pm Learn to use this tool, so you can make images like this:

patchy_snow.PNG
Thanks! I've used CalTopo plenty of times before but never knew they had Sat data on there, good to know. Looks like the approach is pretty clear, and with an additional week of snowmelt might be even more doable.
gswhoops
Topix Newbie

Post by gswhoops »

brianA wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 am I was on top of Mammoth last Thursday, and snapped this photo. Koip is the one on the far right. I did the Koip trip a few years ago, and was amazed at all the snow up there this year. That's why I took the pic. Better bring an ice axe, and crampons. Plus, it's unlikely you'll spot the WW2 B24 wreckage just above the Kuna Glacier. Another reason to visit the two peaks. However, according to c9h's satellite image, the Parker Switchbacks are clear, as are Koip Peak Pass, and Parker Peak. Parker Peak might be a safer option. Good luck!
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Looks like we might plan hike up the switchbacks to Koip Peak Pass and make a judgement call from there on if we can summit either one. Hopefully the extra week of sunshine helps us out.

Thanks for the info!
cdevine
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cdevine »

Great image/map. Is that just an APP that you have to download? I need to get proficient with this.
Looking at a similar path soon. Are you going out of Rush Creek TH?
Good luck and take some pics!
gswhoops
Topix Newbie

Post by gswhoops »

cdevine wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 am Great image/map. Is that just an APP that you have to download? I need to get proficient with this.
Looking at a similar path soon. Are you going out of Rush Creek TH?
Good luck and take some pics!
For the map, its all on caltopo.com. You can add the route as a line and it will show you a bunch of really good info (elevation gain, terrain etc) and then play with the layers to see different overlays. The one c9h used is the new Weekly Satellite Image which is awesome! I think they just added it recently and it looks to be a great resource.Definitely can't recommend CalTopo enough, spend some time to play around with it and its an awesome tool. After you build the maps you can also download the gpx files for a GPS tool that you'll have when hiking.

As for the trip, we're coming in from the other side from Tioga Pass Rd and Tuolumne Meadows on Mono Pass Trail. Depending on conditions we were thinking of maybe trying to get to Alger Lakes, but we'll see. More than likely we'll make an attempt at summitting Koip or Parker Peaks, and then head back down toward Parker Pass and Sardine Lakes for the night.

Will definitely post pictures when we get back, enjoy your trip as well!