Coming to TR soon: Northern Yosemite Loop 7/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
somedumgoy
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Coming to TR soon: Northern Yosemite Loop 7/27

Post by somedumgoy »

Hey there HST,

This is my first time requesting advice on this forum (please be gentle). Here's my post on the lurker's thread where I answer the basic questions about my background and what I like.

I'm planning to do the Northern Yosemite Loop / Benson Lake Loop setting out on 7/27 planning on 7 nights with a 0 day at Doe or Smedberg; which one is better for fishing and scenery in that order? I'm planning to do the clockwise route almost exactly as given on the map here but I'm considering bagging Crown Pt instead of proceeding from Snow Lk to Crown Lk on the return. I've reviewed all of the TRs I could find about this trail on HST and elsewhere -- thanks everyone and especially to maverick and giantbrookie for all the thoughtful feedback to all the others and I promise to post my TR! I made a caltopo map with landmarks and possible campsites for myself here: https://caltopo.com/m/1KA4

Some questions:
  • The x-country parts look like the most gentle x-country one could imagine but has anyone been up Little Slide Canyon this year?
  • Same question but Rancheria Creek up to Rock Island Lake and then over Rock Island Pass? How much brush and how much room between creek / river and canyon wall will there be up in there?
  • What do the trout go for at all those lakes and creeks up there?
  • I want to get on the top of Crown Point but I'm not sure if my partner will have the energy for that so I'd like to know if it's worth it. I've read that Peeler is beautiful and there's good fishing there but, if you check my route, would you do that or just get a nice camp site at Snow or Robinson Lake and catch fish there?
Wish I could make it to the meetup -- maybe next year!

Thanks in advance & happy trails,
--
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Coming to TR soon: Northern Yosemite Loop 7/27

Post by c9h13no3 »

somedumgoy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 pm [*]I want to get on the top of Crown Point but I'm not sure if my partner will have the energy for that so I'd like to know if it's worth it.
As far as peaks go, it's a cakewalk from Rock Island Pass. I was so impressed by how easy it was, I took some pics.

20181014_112535.jpg

20181014_112004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

The cross-country down Slide Canyon to Smedberg Lake is easy - except for THE SLIDE, which you will hit at the top of the canyon. When I did it in 1974, I crossed straight through The Slide and still remember it as tedious and taxing. You are basically crossing a long field of large talus - up to car size blocks. After I did it, I thought that maybe it would have been easier to go around The Slide on the east side, climbing up the slope a few hundred feet. But unfortunately, I haven't been back yet to try that.
-Phil
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

I think the view from Crown Pt is worth the effort. I don''t remember it being much of a challenge from Peeler Lake back in about '94 or so.

I seem to recall decent fishing for chunky rainbows in Peeler. In those days I would have been fishing exclusively small Kastmasters in silver or silver/blue. It was July, and fish were deep.