All Packed but where to go?- Part 2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

All Packed but where to go?- Part 2

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Everyone,
WD had exactly the same questions as me:
1) Where do I have a better chance of less mosquitos
2) I need safe creek crossings
3) I will have a 7 month old pup with me so I do not want steep icy passes requiring ice axe but snow camping and trails are great.
4) I would like to go for about 6 days
I am leaving on Saturday. However, I have some slightly different requirements and would appreciate the help.
I was just at Virginia/Purple in 2017 as well as Thousand Island/ Ediza. Just spent a lot of time in Emigrant last year so would prefer something new. Do you think that Pioneer will be a possibility? I still see some ice on Mono Pass using CalTopo but I cannot really tell if crampons would do it or if it would require a lot of caution and an ice axe. I had also considered going to Red Mountain but considering most that commented said it will be mosquito central, probably not a good idea. Any opinions about Carson Iceberg Wilderness and all of those river/creek crossings?
Thanks so much!!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: All Packed but where to go?- Part 2

Post by SSSdave »

Leaving tomorrow Saturday. Lakes in the Green Creek basin are now melted out as they are lower than much is further south. You will see plenty of wildflowers in the colorful metamorphic granitic geology mix. Easy short hikes between lakes. Past Summit Lake, unusual Virginia Peak is worth a day trip to view. Easy walk up wilderness permits but a longish bumpy well graded dirt road to trailhead. Mosquitoes unknown however in most range areas dragonflies and damselflies have had time to put a dent in mosquito populations away from meadows and marsh.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: All Packed but where to go?- Part 2

Post by balzaccom »

A lot of Carson-Iceberg is burned--at least that area near the Iceberg off Clark Fork. I just came back from the area around Carson Pass. Snow is slowly melting out there, and the stream crossings were manageable. Mosquitoes rated about a 2-3 out of 10, only in the swampy areas.

This is a good year to explore the lower elevations, even if they are not in wilderness areas!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963