Hoover n Ice Not All Nice July 12-14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hoover n Ice Not All Nice July 12-14

Post by venturefar »

giantbrookie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 pm
venturefar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm You did better than I did. I fished for two hours and didn't even get a bump. Looks like I may have to go back for seconds. Thanks again for sharing.
You dayhiked up there and still had time to fish for two hours? Wow, dayhiking to that place, especially in these conditions, is pretty hardcore. What time were you hiking to get there and did you detour upstream to avoid the main stream crossing? Our car was the cherry red Pathfinder and I'd guess you were the other car parked behind us?
Yes the dingy tan ford focus was my car. I hit another lake off the same road on Friday and there was a bluish Subaru parked at the TH in addition to your pathfinder.

I hit the trail about 6:30 Sunday morning reaching the lake by 11. I did not detour and crossed at the tegular trail crossing. I also noticed the climbing rope.
@aguabonita
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

OK we were probably on opposite sides of the stream when our paths crossed. We left the lake at about 920 am and reached the car at about 220 pm, so I figure we were on the opposite side of the main stream at about the time we would have passed each other, although we didn't miss by much at the base of the final climb, it would seem.

By another lake, I'd imagine its the one with brookies in it? How were they?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

By another lake, I'd imagine its the one with brookies in it? How were they?
Pretty lake. Small but eager.
@aguabonita
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Guys, I had an awesome trip too. I can't say where, cuz no new people after me.

I would post pictures, but that might entice people to go there. I could tell you about all the awesome crags I climbed, all the sweet fish I caught, and all the great scenery, but that might lead to over use.

I'm really important, and millions of people read my posts and take my suggestions. So I have to be very careful about recommending places.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 am I'm really important
But do you really fish?
Have you spent hours and hours looking at topos and stocking records for a lake that has the potential for trophy fish?
Have you had a favorite spot burned 'cause some Power Bait Googan posted all the fish he caught on FB?
There are too many internet lurkers who contribute little or nothing, who search this site and others for 'freebies'.
It may seem elitist to not name fishing spots, but if you put in the Blood, Sweat and Tears to find a killer spot, you're not very likely to just give it away.
Ever encountered the madness that is trophy Brown fishing? Goes all the way to threats of physical violence....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:thumbsup: Agree completely, Jeff.

Good thing you don't hunt birds in free roam refuge ponds. There are a lot of expletives flying around. Difference is we're all armed!
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Hi all, let's not get too far off topic here. I am sympathetic to someone's frustration about this cloak and dagger sort of thing because I was once much freer about giving out specifics info. I have not encountered spot burn myself first hand, but like every last one of us, I was exposed to it electronically. We realize that one particularly bad actor who goes by the name of a maritime title/rank followed by the name of a large lake, has really hit the community below the belt when it comes to golden trout fisheries. It is for this reason we are perhaps extra careful about places with good goldies. In addition, even though I have traditionally (say up to 2008) been much freer with info on fishing spots than most, the destination here fits my pre-2008 exclusion criteria because it is not in any guidebook and it can be potentially reached by stock. In fact, if one Googles this place (by name), I don't find any glorious links. Given the issues we've had with some folks such as the person noted above, I'm with others on this board who'd like to keep the name of this place off of the media that can be easily crawled. Anyhow there is a lot on the issues of spot burn on the Fishing Forum and we should reserve these discussions for those threads. Cheers, GB
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 am Guys, I had an awesome trip too. I can't say where, cuz no new people after me.

I would post pictures, but that might entice people to go there. I could tell you about all the awesome crags I climbed, all the sweet fish I caught, and all the great scenery, but that might lead to over use.

I'm really important, and millions of people read my posts and take my suggestions. So I have to be very careful about recommending places.
I think it is important to consider this community's past practice when posting TRs. In my search it looks like this lake hasn't been outed in open forum for several years now. The fact that there are even some TRs found in the sensitive section demonstrates how the topix community views this lake. The original post was nothing but respectful to this reality.

In any case with a little effort there's usually enough info between photos and comments on trail conditions to figure out the location of a vague TR. If you really want to know send a PM and ask. In my experience members here are willing to be extremely forthcoming with information via PM. Especially if you PM them a TR upon your return. :thumbsup:
@aguabonita
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great trip John. I agree that the photo of your daughter fishing that icy lake margin is really fine. How do you get teenagers to come into the mountains- do you have to pay them?
My other question is where can I get one of those fake tape measures? If I had one of those I wouldn't have to invent all of that bull&%$! to hide the true size of my fish.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Almost every lake in Wilderness Press's Sierra South touting large trout, especially large golden trout, has been pummeled over decades. Heck fishermen and many backpackers still target Lake South America thinking that doesn't change even though it is one of the most boring lakes in that basin. I know a list of lakes that still have large fish but that is mostly because they are multi days from trailheads. On the other hand small lakes with large golden trout just a day's hike from trailheads without natural reproduction are on shakiest ground.