Glacier Pass in Mineral King in October

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Glacier Pass in Mineral King in October

Post by cburton103 »

I'm planning on spending four days doing the big Mineral King loop the second week of October this year with a buddy of mine. The dates are set and can't be moved up since we're having baby number two this week and my wife, understandably, doesn't want me leaving for a trip sooner. We'd like to spend some time getting off trail a bit. We're planning on spending night one at Spring Lake below Black Rock Pass, and I've read reports of Glacier Pass that make it sound easy, and some reports that make it sound pretty treacherous. We have a bit of off trail pass experience, but are by no means experts. The main thing I don't want to get into is a super icy unavoidable steep snowfield.

Has anyone been over Glacier Pass late in the season? Any other tips of good areas to get off trail? Bonus points for alpine and subalpine lakes. Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: We also are prepared to do the trip somewhere else at lower elevations if winter moves in before our trip.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Glacier Pass in Mineral King in October

Post by sekihiker »

I've been over Glacier Pass in snow [http://www.sierrahiker.com/CliffCreekLakes/index.html] and when it's clear [http://www.sierrahiker.com/HighRouteSouth/index.html] and have never understood why anyone found it difficult.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I've been over it when it had a cornice (I passed a group that was gearing up) and found it kinda sketch, and when it was dry and class 1. If the snow coverage was full and in October potentially iced you wouldn't want to touch it. My ignorant estimate is you'll find a clear way in October, anyone have a report from 2011 or big snow year?
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cburton103 »

Thanks for the responses! We had our baby a week ago, so I wasn't thinking about hiking much!

Looks like I'll need to follow conditions as the trip approaches. Right now, the NPS site says the following about Glacier Pass: "7/20 - The west side of Glacier Pass has no snow at this time and the east side of Glacier Pass has 100% snow/ice coverage. Travel through this area is not recommended."

I'll follow the site and possibly post again here as the trip approaches to follow conditions. Really looking forward to seeing this area!