Lamarck Col in High Snow Year

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jackofall
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lamarck Col in High Snow Year

Post by jackofall »

Any info on the face of Darwin? My buddy and I will be going up over the Col on Aug. 1 and then going to climb Darwin. We will be bringing crampons, ice axe, rope, harnesses for the climb up the glacier. If you have any pictures of Darwin that would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

apatek wrote:
Has anyone had experience going over Lamarck Col or Piute Pass during the last week in July in either 2011 or 2017?
Lizzie, the dogs and I went over Piute in 2017, but the dates were mid-June I think. [ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16043] We brought crampons and skis, and ran into a lot of tricky snow. Here are a few photos of Humphreys Basin from that trip.
DSCN0511.JPG
This is the margin of Muriel Lake. Tough for traveling, but really beautiful.

DSCN0481.JPG
Cramponing around in the early AM can be great. Here we're up at Goethe Lake, Alpine Col center frame.

DSCN0535.JPG
We found dry camping, and open water when we needed it- tough ski-touring but it was a great trip. Hope you have fun. The Harlens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Apatek,
Like Harlen, we went over Piute in late June 2017 and exited via Lamarck col. I'll post some photos from that time, but they will not tell you a whole lot more than you already know. There were patchy open spots high up on the East side of the col, but after about 1/3 mile it was solid snow down past Lamarck lakes. As the photos will show, the Darwin side was pretty clear, but there were big patches by the lakes and pretty continuous snow past the last lake in Darwin canyon down toward the JMT. Bring plenty of sunscreen! Cheers, Cameron
1ss.jpg

2sss.jpg
part way up Lamarck.jpg
4ss.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cgundersen on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRider
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RedRider »

These are some fantastic photos
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

Here is lamarck col in 2017 July 3rd week.... we did it with our 11 year old daughters

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=16425
RedRider
Topix Novice

Post by RedRider »

Comparing the satellite imagery from a month, even 2 weeks ago suggests that the snow is melting FAST in that area, especially around Darwin Canyon/Bench.
donnymarcos
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by donnymarcos »

Did Lamarck Col a few days ago. Plenty of snow leading up to the lake at the base of the col, and plenty of snow all the way up. I did it in late afternoon and didn't feel the need for anything beyond a hiking pole, thanks to a well-established track.

Snow along the lakes in Darwin Canyon, but the descent from the col itself was pretty snow-free.