TR Yosemite High Country July 18-24

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR Yosemite High Country July 18-24

Post by fpb56 »

Started off an easy first day by hiking a short 2 mile hike up to May Lake. Set up for the night then left gear and hiked up Mount Hoffman. The trail had no snow with only patches towards the top. This is an incredible hike with a view that is vast with a great view of all the surrounding snow covered peaks.

Day 2 was a 13 mi hike up to Clouds Rest for a great view of anything you wanted to see. It was incredible although somewhat like Disneyland due to the crowds, but understandable. Its hard to describe the vastness and enormity that you experience. We camped just off the Clouds Rest trail sign after finding a fire ring. A deer was there and would not leave us. She was very curious and walked around us for an hour or more. Very fun

Day 3 was a 16mi hike down through an old burn scar, past Merced Lake and Washburn Lake to an area by a footbridge that crosses the Merced Peak Fork river our elevation was about 8000'. It was a great hike, lots of mosquitoes though but not a problem. No one was on the trail.

Day 4 was a 11mi hike that ended in a big disappointment. After a climb up to an upper trail above the Triple Peak Fork Creek, almost 10,000', we dropped down, heading to Lewis Creek trail, into Lyell Fork Creek. The creek was raging and we were to tired to attempt to cross that afternoon. There are a few logs over the river about 100 yards down river from the trail we were told about. We didn't like the look of it because a fall would not have been survivable, not a chance! We decided to look at it in the morning when rested. By morning the waters had risen even more and the logs were wet and water was going over then at times. The flow increased during the night. We decided to turn back.

So Day 5 started by backtracking to Merced Lake which ended up being a 17mi day as we camped in the backpackers campground. Our original plan was to go up Lewis Creek after connecting from the upper trail we were on the previous day and head to Vogelsang Pass. Due to adding an extra day because we had to turn back Day 5 was 16mi and we just went direct to Tuolumne Meadows that ended our trip.

Overall it was an 82 mile hike that took us through some of the most beautiful meadows, mountains and valleys, creeks, rivers and beautiful skys. The weather was perfect with nights into the mid 40's I think and days in the 70's. I am glad the three of us decided to turn back from Lyell Fork Creek. It was a big disappointment but the right move. I should have looked at the flows more and asked more questions on this form. I think the info was there I just didn't interpret it right. I also should have talked to a ranger or someone familiar with that area of the hike as it was my first time up in that area. Overall the mosquitos were a 3 but Deet ruled the day. I have some great photos but haven't figured how to get them in. It says the picture file is too big. I'll keep trying.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Yosemite High Country July 18-24

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks for the report, and it's great to hear rational reflection on prep / asking about conditions. I crossed the Lyell Fork one stormy July afternoon and know how scary it can be even not at peak snowmelt. Disappointing to turn around but you got to see a beautiful part of that trail on the way to Lyell Fork already. You'll just have to go back and hit up Isberg from the west next time!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A search upstream above the confluence of Hutchings and Lyell Fork may have found a safe (slow moving, swampy, but safe) crossing, each creek a separate crossing. But I have been on that side of Lyell Fork and it would have been quite a bushwhack. Nothing wrong with a retreat. Did you get up to Harriet Lake?
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I hit the same Lyell Fork situation in early season 2017 big snow and found something a bit upstream, climbing through brush. It was the most unpleasant crossing of the summer.
https://vimeo.com/243483772
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

fpb56, it happens to everyone at some point. No amount of preparation, etc. can guarantee a perfect time. At some point, too many conversations, looking at maps, and forum posts can make it not so fun anymore. Each outing has a bit of unpredictability which makes things interesting. I'm glad you got to see the park and get a good workout. There will be more adventures in store...
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

Thanks everyone, it was a great section and incredible country. We did not get to Harriet Lake. Cant wait to get back up there.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

When you do go back, check out Red Devil Lake, just north of Red Peak Pass.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have some great photos but haven't figured how to get them in. It says the picture file is too big. I'll keep trying.
Your pics need to be scaled down to about 1MB. You can resize in paint or whatever tool you use. Check the properties after a resave and see the size.
They will load then. Copy them to the desktop first so you don't lose the originals.
Looking forward to the pictures.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi fpb,
I'll second Russ' comment: most of the photos I try to post are 3-4 MB and the upload link for HST only accepts less than 2 MB. Thus, as Russ noted, you can open photos in Paint (or equivalent) and there is an easy mechanism in Paint (in the home view, upper left of the screen) to re-size. Going to 50% usually works for me. Save this smaller image by hitting the button just above Paste (in Paint). I usually save as a jpeg on my desktop and then you should be able to upload these smaller files to HST. I realize this is pretty much what Russ conveyed with a few more details....Cameron