What Makes a Great Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What Makes a Great Lake

Post by Love the Sierra »

Wonderful question, thanks so much for starting the thread!
A greAt lake is one with tall granite walls that face east or west at just the right angle to glow orange and red and reflect in the lake during sunrise and sunset. It will also glow silvery white in the moonlight. It has wonderful peaks and boulders and trees surrounding it enabling us to have hours of exploration up above and around the lake. It will have clear water without silt or algae. Lots of dragon flies and fish jumping to watch. Campsites that have marvelous views. Buck Lake in Emigrant Wilderness and Thousand Island Lake in Ansel Adams Wilderness are two such lakes.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What Makes a Great Lake

Post by tlsharb »

These are great responses. If I had to pick a top 3, I'd say--- 1. Scenery (big granite background is nice) 2. Solitude (love having a lake to myself) 3. Fish :). Here's one of my favorites, just because of the batman background...Crabtree in Bench Valley
crabtree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.