Cirque Lake, Apollo Lake, Orchid Lake and Bear Twin Lakes backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
highsierraguy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cirque Lake, Apollo Lake, Orchid Lake and Bear Twin Lakes backpacking

Post by highsierraguy »

We are thinking of doing a 3-4 night backpacking trip around Cirque Lake, Apollo Lake, Orchid Lake and Bear Twin Lakes. Does anyone have any experience backpacking to those lakes? I haven’t been able to find much information about those lakes or routes between the lakes. Some maps show a trail from Bear Creek up to Cirque Lake, but other maps don’t have that trail on it Does anyone have any experience in that area that could provide some tips?

THANKS!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Cirque Lake, Apollo Lake, Orchid Lake and Bear Twin Lakes backpacking

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here are the routes I have done. The line color or type means nothing- I just use different lines to better see where each segment ends and begins. Not that these routes are the best. Probably other routes fine too.
Routes_MarieLakArea.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
highsierraguy
Topix Novice

Post by highsierraguy »

thanks for the routes....thats helpful. HAs anyone entered from either Bear Creek or from Hooper Diversion. Curious about what the trails are like from either way?
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I've come in from Hooper Diversion. No trails past Hooper Basin but if you're comfortable with off-trail navigation you can do a nice little loop in and out of Hooper. See my report from 2015 (including route map) for more details: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13223&p=99124&hilit=Orchid#p99124
highsierraguy
Topix Novice

Post by highsierraguy »

Thanks for the awesome trip report! You did a great job writing it. Makes me excited to do a similar loop!
DHeuschele
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by DHeuschele »

If you go in at bear diversion outlet, stay on the slab as it climbs. It is the easiest way to bear Dome. Then traverse across to cirque. No where near as scenic as bear creek, but so much gain on slab is nice.

For best perspective of this slab, look at Google earth.

If you want the scenery return via bear creek but turn around occasionally as bear creek is more scenic going up than coming down.