Crossing Glacier Ridge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Crossing Glacier Ridge

Post by thegib »

Hey all,

I've read some posts about ascending/descending Josephine lake. My q is has anyone crossed at 36.6339, -118.3561 ? Or, immediately NE of the 'R' in Glacier on the Caltopo map, or SSW of the R in the Tom Harrison map? It's at 11680'+ and leads to the top lake on the western side. It looks a lot less bushwacky than the lower approaches. Thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Crossing Glacier Ridge

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Gib,
Not exactly, but I have done the adjacent canyon (with the Gl from Glacier Ridge). It's a bit lower than Coppermine Pass, and by all accounts, easier in my mind. In both instances, I traversed to this ridgeline from Horn col (crossing the Elizabeth pass trail, obviously), and then descended into Cloud canyon. It was straightforward class 2 on the other side. My one regret is that I cannot show photos, because the hosting site my wife used back then deleted the shots. Cameron
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

thegib wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:55 pm -118.3561
looks more like -118.5561
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I've crossed at 36.654067, -118.557163 and never found bushwhacking a problem. See: http://www.sierrahiker.com/GlacierRidge/index.html
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Gundersan,

I'm not trying to skip Coppermine, I'll be crossing that W-E earlier in the trip. I was just wondering why people don't leave Cloud canyon from about 9900' and head WNW to cross Glacier Ridge to just above the highest the highest west side lake.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Sekihiker,
I found that post of yours and enjoyed it. But you don't recommend that route you did. I'm curious about a different way.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

thegib wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:51 pm But you don't recommend that route you did.
I didn't recommend my route because I couldn't find the easiest route down from Josephine on that trip in 2006. It had nothing to do with brush, just my inability to remember the route I took on an earlier trip. I wish I had a GPS track for the route I took in 1994.
Whatever path you take, the ridge is an empty place that has seen very few visits. I wish you the best on your trip.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I've really only felt that 'empty place' feeling in a few sierra spots, like the Red Spur plateau. I'm excited to look for it.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

was just wondering why people don't leave Cloud canyon from about 9900' and head WNW to cross Glacier Ridge to just above the highest the highest west side lake.

Yes, I've looked at that spot too, but have never gotten close. That said, you will definitely find Glacier Ridge to be relatively undisturbed. During the hop over to Josephine that my buddy and I did last August, there was no sign of activity though Ian (Harlen) rambled through there in the autumn. And, back in Ranger Mike's day, there apparently was appreciably more action in that area, but I think the closest most folk get is following Cloud or Deadman canyon, not a traverse. It'll be interesting to hear whether anyone made it to this year's meetup spot. It could be the photos Daisy posted of that area are among the few "recent" ones anyone on HST has. If you get up there, grab some photos!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

thegib wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:56 pm I've really only felt that 'empty place' feeling in a few sierra spots, like the Red Spur plateau. I'm excited to look for it.
Saw no signs of visits when I went to the Red Spur plateau. But, there were few signs of visits in the next door Kaweah Basin either.
There is plenty of solitude left in the Sierra, even near roads. I've visited the Short Hair Plateau this month next to the Courtright road and it looks like nobody visits this area either, even though it is just a few miles off road. It's not spectacular high country, but there is plentiful solitude and beauty galore.