Ideas for Onion Valley 4 day loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Duke1
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ideas for Onion Valley 4 day loop

Post by Duke1 »

Just for kicks, here is a shot from our trip this weekend (North Cascades of Washington).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been following some of the PCT hikers who now are going through the Cascades in Washington. Looks like you guys may have less snow the we do down here. I expected to see two mountain goats with you instead of two dogs! That photo makes me want to go up there and backpack.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

The only time I backpacked in the North Cascades, it didn't look like that! We had clouds, clouds, clouds covering all the peaks and drizzling or raining on and off. Never any sun or blue sky. This was in August 1978. We were even on the "dry side" in the Pasayten Wilderness. We bailed on the third day of a planned 8 day trip. As Roper said, "climbing the world's mountains is an appreciation course for the Sierra Nevada". Also true for backpacking.
-Phil
Duke1
Topix Novice

Post by Duke1 »

Yep. My main beef with living in the NW is the climate (got here early enough to not complain about the cost of housing). You really need to be able to pick your window of opportunity to enjoy clear skies.