2019 September backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2019 September backpacking

Post by kursavwilage »

I have a 10 day trip planned starting Aug. 30th out of Rowell Meadow. Depending on conditions I'm hoping to through the Big Brewer lake area to South Guard Lake, Thunder Ridge, over Macleod Pass, Milestone Pass, Colby Pass, then back out to Rowell Meadow. Normally my trips are around the end of July and the beginning of August so I am hoping the later start is enough time for the snow to melt........
toejam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by toejam »

I'm packing a warm sleeping bag and hitting the Sierra in September. After the August 2017 mosquitoes, I thought September would be best. Doing a loop from Roads End in KCNP.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Some of my all-time favorite photos were the ones from my Sierra trips of September 2011, following another very high snow year. Greenery, wildflowers, remaining snow patches, *and* fall colors all in the same photo! Amazing.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Being retired, everything just moved a month or two later in the calendar. It's just like any other year except things are happening later. I used to hate heavy snow years when I was a teacher because I'd lose a hiking month. The only disadvantage now is days get pretty short at the end of the season. Then again, there is more solitude in usually busy areas.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm a weekender, and I'm in the Sierra year round. Putting off being in your favorite place because of bugs that can be managed seems silly. Course, I don't backpack much either.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I'm going to brave Labor Day weekend this year (I've had terrible weather luck in the past, so...we'll see). Been looking at various possibilities, but I think I've settled on a Green Lakes loop (to Return Lake via Summit Lake, back via Virginia pass). New area to me.