Any one know of a back country hike that has giant sequoias

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Any one know of a back country hike that has giant sequoias

Post by RodofJ »

Not sure what you're looking for, but these were somewhere (I'm guessing a few miles) south of Bearpaw Meadow on the way to Mineral King. There were lots of really cool trees there. I was there a couple months ago - there's a big "campground" around Bearpaw Meadow and there were a lot of people there, I stayed at Buck Creek and there were people there too. On the trail from Bearpaw to Mineral King I didn't see that many people.
Tree.jpg
TreeII.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

If she wants to go to either Pear Lake (short-ish trip) or out the High Sierra Trail to any number of destinations (long-ish trip), she can get permitted for a start at the Alta trailhead. The first mile of the Alta Trail winds through some truly spectacular Sequoia groves, in the general area of the Sherman Tree (but far enough away from Sherman so that the crowds are dispersed). Also, Alta is one of the easiest trailheads for which to snag a permit.

Alternatively, she could also consider this,

Car-camp at Lodgepole or Grant Grove for 2-3 nights to acclimatize a bit.

Day-hike between Crescent Meadow and the Sherman Tree - a spectacular one-way northbound hike through the Sequoias. Park at Sherman, and have the shuttle drop you off at Moro Rock. Or, do some other SEKI Sequoai hike.

Follow with a nearby backpacking trip. For shorter backpacking trips (1-2 nights), Pear Lake, Franklin Lakes, Paradise Valley, East Lake. For longer trips, Rae Lakes, or the High Sierra Trail partway.

(I'm reluctant to recommend a longer hike in Mineral King for a relative newbie, as there is so much vertical there - it's difficult. Would also not at all recommend Tablelands to a newbie. People seem to overstate how "easy" the x-country is at Tablelands. Neither the navigation nor the terrain there is beginner-appropriate unless she has an experienced x-country person leading her trip.)

- Elizabeth
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the help. She will be coming with my brother and I on our annual week trip next year. She did a three day 20 miler with us last year and did great. I had her lead the way on some XC parts of our trip (with supervision) so that she could begin using the topos, and start to paying attention to landmarks if she ever got lost. I was excited at her excitement of backpacking and route finding. More importantly, she is already begging to come on our week long trip next year and is helping my brother find a 40 to 50 mile loop. She asked if Sequoias would be possible, so I asked. I think a day in Sequoia to see redwoods and acclimate is how we are going to do it, but camping in the sequoias sounded like fun.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Hiking from Atwell Mill Campground to Hockett Meadow would allow for some brief exposure to the big trees. The trail starts in a grove that was harvested, but there are still some trees standing. There are a few places along the trail where one can stand in their midst, but mostly the trail traverses above the groves. Here is a picture as proof

Looking down on these trees reminds me of broccoli, so I affectionately refer to them as broccoli tops.

This trail leads to some interesting areas, and could be done as a 30+ mile loop, returning over Farewell Gap into the Mineral King Valley.

Hope this helps.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

If you want a grove with good trees and few people, the Garfield Grove is a good one. You could combine it in a trip up to Hockett or farther. I did a dayhike a few years ago to find the Floyd Otter tree, trip report here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a lot of poison oak low, and a good uphill to the grove. But you can camp under the trees. The best campsites are on the saddle on the east side of Snowslide Canyon, but you have to bring your water there, or go another mile or so to the creek to get water, assuming it is flowing in a dry year.

I have done the Redwood Canyon loop as an overnight, and it makes a really nice overnight trip. Not too strenuous, lots of good trees, and not many people.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

overheadx2

Your decision to see the Sequoia groves while acclimating the first day, then taking the hiking trip afterwards makes sense. You'll enjoy the best of both that way.

Congratulations on having a niece with a sense of adventure and love for the outdoors. Many kids nowadays would be content with looking at a few pictures of Giant Sequoia trees on their cell phone, and leave it at that.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hurricaniac »

The So. Fork Grove out of the So. Fork Kaweah river trailhead is a particularly sweet grove. Very unique in its setting and not too high elevation on the way up to Hockett Mdw. You could loop up to Hocket and then return thru the Garfield Grove which is quite majestic.
zoedmetzger
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by zoedmetzger »

:unibrow:
dave54 wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 pm If you want to drive farther:

In 1932 the CCC planted a grove of Giant Sequoia south of the SW corner of Lassen Volcanic NP. A trail starts at north of Mineral, off forest road 30N16, heads north, just cuts across the SW corner of LAVO and goes to Heart Lake, and connects to forest road 17. The trail to Brokeoff Mountain connects with it, and following the Brokeoff Trail east to hwy 89 can connect you with the rest of LAVO trail system where you can put together any number of multi day trips.

The Sequoia Grove is just a 1/3 mile or so from the Glassburner trailhead and along the trail. You would be amazed at how large those trees have grown in just 80 years. They are not old growth, at 80 years they are still youngsters, but large in girth.

This trail is little known and little used except by locals.

Per your recommendation, two of us just went and hiked out the trail to find some sequoias, and were sadly disappointed when there weren’t any... and we can’t find anything on the internet regarding this grove either. Is your distancing correct? Is it directly off the trail? We need answers. And would like to see some sequoias.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I really like Redwood Canyon. It is a wild sequoia grove, unlike the main Giant Forest that is mobbed with visitors. You can walk right up to the giant trees and camp right next to them.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Always staying off the delicate roots, of course!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963