Mosquito repelent for dogs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mosquito repelent for dogs

Post by overheadx2 »

Im headed up to Rock creek next weekend to do some day hikes near Rock creek. My dog will be coming along and i am assuming we will be encountering Mosquitoes. Obviously DEET is not a good way to go. What does every one do to protect their furry friends.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mosquito repelent for dogs

Post by rlown »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19838

My dog is a lab and has a double coat. Head/nose is the most vulnerable but I would still use OFF (7% deet) on the dog.
Used the same technique with my last lab, Samantha waterfowl hunting.

Dog mask seems a little extreme.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

Sawyer claims that you can apply their permethrin directly to dogs. Not sure I'd do this myself (maybe if I lived in tick/lyme disease country) but I figured it's worth spreading the info.

https://sawyer.com/dogs-and-permethrin- ... repellent/
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

I use Herbal Armor. It works if you apply very often, about every 20-30 minutes. We have been in swarms that were a 4 on our scale, and if I applied often enough, it seemed to work. By the way, I spray on their heads and pour into my hand and wipe around face and eyes. Also baldish belly gets sprayed. (I have samoyeds so only the places with a thin coat needs repellent.)
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Been using Vets Best mosquito formula bought at Petsmart. Works fairly good on our dog and on us in moderate mosquito activity. Easy to use (pump) and smells like lemongrass. The flea & tick formula (peppermint) also works but needs to be applied more frequently than the other formula when the bugs get going.

Hope this helps.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I don't think my dog would tolerate a head mask.

Mosquitoes biting the tender nose would be a problem, though.

How well do dogs tolerate bug spray?
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

schmalz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:37 am Sawyer claims that you can apply their permethrin directly to dogs. Not sure I'd do this myself (maybe if I lived in tick/lyme disease country) but I figured it's worth spreading the info.

https://sawyer.com/dogs-and-permethrin- ... repellent/
I mean, permetherin is a prescription product for insects when applied as a creme/lotion for lice and mites. I don't know what other ingredients sawyer has in theirs.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I know permethrin is cleared for use in babies under 2 when used in a formulated cream to treat scabies.

The old lindane lotion was a lot more toxic and was not allowed for use in kids less than 2 years old.

I would not want to use concentrated DEET on my pooch's nose. That stuff melts varnish.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My dog is so furry that mosquitoes do not bother her. What IS a problem are black flies, they crawl in the fur like ticks and then suck blood, leaving big red welts. They are a big problem in the northern Rockies, less so in the Sierra. Our dog gets loaded with ticks, even though she wears a tick collar. We check her every night for ticks.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

NexGuard is a monthly chewable med that we get from the vet for flea and tick prevention during the warm months. It's very effective for ticks and fleas. I have no idea if it protects from mosquitoes. Usually, in town, I never notice mozzies bothering the husky.

I recommend the NexGuard product. (It's pricey, but it works.)