Conditions Request--KCNP passes? Granite, Mather, Pinchot

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
BlueInGreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Conditions Request--KCNP passes? Granite, Mather, Pinchot

Post by BlueInGreen »

Put this in the wrong page last time, sorry!

Hi all, planning on starting the Big SEKI Loop in just a couple of days, and I'm having a hard time gauging whether I should drag along micro-spikes for crossing the passes.

The park's trail updates (https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ---------- ) have been helpful, and a few folks here have been kind enough to tell me what conditions have been like on their trips. However, some of the passes haven't had updates. I'm specifically most concerned about the passes in the first half of the trip:

Granite Pass--Most recently updated 7/18, saying it was 2/3 snow-covered at the time. Anyone been up recently?

Mather Pass--Most recently updated 7/27 saying it was 60% snow-covered. Update is recent, but we'll be crossing on 8/5. Thoughts?

Pinchot Pass--Most recently updated 7/12 saying it was 75% snow-covered. Anyone been up recently?

I'm open to the reality check that we should just drag micro-spikes along! But also trying to get the most up-to-date info I can. Any help is greatly appreciated!
brownbat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions Request--KCNP passes? Granite, Mather, Pinchot

Post by brownbat »

I don't have an update - and am planning a 'small' version of the big SEKI loop a week after you. I'm also really interested in learning more about the avalanche debris and Palisade creek crossing along the same route. BlueInGreen, I hope you don't mind me piggy backing onto your post!

"7/20 - Trail washouts are present between Palisade Creek and Simpson Meadow. Likely impassable to stock. A visitor report was received that stated the trail has been covered and made impassable by an avalanche that slid across it just north of the Devils Washbowl on the Upper Middle Fork Kings trail. This report has been verified by photos only and not by NPS staff. Travellers in this area are urged to proceed only with extreme caution and be prepared to turn around if conditions exceed your comfort, gear limitations, and skill level."
jwill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by jwill »

I'm doing the same starting August 11, although going out via Colby Pass and back via the SImpson Meadow route. Looks like Woods Creek might be the way back to Roads End?
BlueInGreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BlueInGreen »

Heard back from a friend who just got off the JMT about Mather and Pinchot; she said she was glad she had microspikes on Mather, but Pinchot was not an issue... but she also confirmed that everything is melting so darn fast that it's hard to tell if there's going to be any snow left at all a week from now.

Unfortunately, no updates on Palisade Creek or the reported avalanche :/. Our plan right now is to track down some rangers when we get there and find someone who can tell us if that spot is cleared, and if not, we'll head down Bubbs Creek and do the southern half of the BSL heading clockwise.
MightyP13
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by MightyP13 »

Jumping on this thread... Anyone have any updates on the avalanche? Also planning BSL north next week.
MightyP13
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by MightyP13 »

Update for anyone finding this thread: someone said that the trail is closed and rangers wouldn't let them take it last week. Another said as of 4 days ago the avalanche was reduced in size, but still highly dangerous; some folks have maybe gotten over or around, but they didn't risk it.
brownbat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by brownbat »

MightyP13 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am Update for anyone finding this thread: someone said that the trail is closed and rangers wouldn't let them take it last week. Another said as of 4 days ago the avalanche was reduced in size, but still highly dangerous; some folks have maybe gotten over or around, but they didn't risk it.
Wow, I'm glad I went with an alternate plan last week. Thanks for the update.