2019 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
tahoe23
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 2019 Mosquito Reports

Post by tahoe23 »

Treated hiking clothes with permethrin. Never had to break out the headnets or deet. We saw numerous people hiking with headnets but we did not experience anything beyond a few bugs at dusk.
8/13-Granite Park : 2
8/14 Lake Italy : 1 (windy)
8/15 Lower MillCreek Lake :1
8/16 Mono creek : 2 broke out a mosquito coil
8/17 Golden Lake : 1
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Green Creek Basin, Hoover Wilderness

Post by Love the Sierra »

8/15-8/19: East lake, Summit lake, Green Lake and West Lake. Everywhere was a 2 except where it was really heavily wooded and around Green Lake it was a 3.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

8/9-8/12 Tuolumne Meadows and Porcupine Flats - 1
Upthere
Topix Newbie

Post by Upthere »

Pine Creek to Royce

Pine -Honeymoon was a 3 during the middle of the day when hiking to GP
Lower GP was a 3 near water so we camped up on a ridge that kept it around a 1 with some breeze

Hiking into Upper GP the following morning was brutal even while moving and was very hot, about a 4

Lower Royce was a 0-1

Would love any info on Robinson/Crown/Snow lakes area
stryker
Topix Newbie

Post by stryker »

2eleven wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:51 pm
Etchilds wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:55 pm Does anyone have any information on the little Lakes valley area? I have plans for the end of august and want to know what to expect.
End of Aug will be quite different from now. It seems that the mosquitos are finally on the wane so I'd expect things to be fine by end of Aug, but keep an eye on reports closer to when you are going.
I was just there (main trail) from August 13th-17th Not too bad in the am or afternoon, level 3 most places in the evening, 4 in some bad spots near swampy areas and lake edges. We had permethrin treated clothes, including long sleeves and long pants, plus anti-mosquito nets, used picaridin on hands. no bites, but that was not for lack of effort on their part. The fish and dragon flies were gobbling them up, so hopefully you'll have an easier time. Above 11,000 feet on the Mono Pass Trail I didn't see any.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Upper Kern headwaters

Post by Wandering Daisy »

11-day trip Aug 12-22. Only dawn and dusk and/or in wet swampy areas. It was windy most of the time, so that helped. East of Kern River is quite dry and few mosquitoes; west of Kern River more mosquitoes and wetter conditions. Most mosquitoes were very small and not biting. I do not know if that means it is the start or end of the hatch. I used a head net a lot just because I do not like bugs in my face. Got about 5 bites.

Horseshoe Meadow (1-2), Cottonwood Lakes (1-2), Miter Basin (0-1), Crabtree Meadow on PCT (2), Wallace Lake (0-1), Upper Wrights Lake (0-1), Shepherd Pass trail down towards Tyndall Creek (0), Cross trail (0-1), "Casper aka Ghost" lake (2-3), Milestone Basin (2-3), trial down Kern River and HST up to PCT (1-2), Crabtree Lakes (0-1), out Trail Crest (0-1), Consultation Lake (0).
TFTF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TFTF »

8/18 - Deer Lakes - 1 (breeze)
8/19 - Izaak Walton Lake - 2-3 (slept out but wore head net)
8/20 - Laurel Lakes - 2-3 (succumbed to tent)
8/21 - Lake Edison - 1-2
8/22 - Goodale Pass Trail - 3-4; Graveyard Lakes - 1 (breeze); Lake Anne - 2
8/23 - Minnow Creek Trail - 5+, horrible apocalypse; Iva Bell Springs - 1-2; Fish Creek Trail - 1-2 (breeze)
klsmith1953
Topix Newbie

Post by klsmith1953 »

8/25 Twin Lakes to Barney Lake 0-1
I might have seen 2 mosquitos in the forest near the creek on the way up. Swam, fished, and laid around at Barney without seeing a single mosquito.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

8/19 lodgepole: 1
8/20 buck creek: 1
8/21 tamarack lake: 2
8/22 lonely lake: 2-3
8/23 xc through tablelands, and tons of snowmelt tarns: 4
lake 11,200: 3 (when the wind died down)
table meadows lake: 3
8/24 lower table meadows: 2
pear lake to wolverton: 0

two rangers said that tablelands/moose lake was more like a 5 last week, so perhaps they’re subsiding a bit.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Upper Truckee roadless area 8/24-8/25

Post by wildhiker »

Did a short backpack from the PCT north trailhead by Carson Pass over the ridge into the Upper Truckee River watershed to Showers Lake and camped. Way in was on the use trail running along the ridge to the west; way back was on the PCT down in the forest and meadows. Elevations 8500 to 9400 feet. Nearly continuous breeze, 5 to 10 mph. Level 1 everywhere. In a sheltered forest area, a couple of mosquitoes landed on me. Otherwise, didn't see any at all. The yellowjackets found us while cooking dinner, but weren't too aggressive.
-Phil