hiking shoe lifespan

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: hiking shoe lifespan

Post by Cycleboy »

I’ve been using Merrel Moab mid tops for 8-10 years. In that time I’ve had two pair. The first ones are semi-retired but still work. I use Superfeet insoles in them. Mine are Vibram soles and last well for $100 retail price. I didn’t know they’d changed the sole more recently.

Our mileage has ramped up over the years to 150+ a year, mostly weekend day hikes.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Daisy wrote:

"My problem with shoes is that the stitching blows out due to lots of off-trail in talus and sharp rocks."

I deal with that problem by coating seams with shoe goo. Doesn't look particularly stylish but it works and at my age I'm not out to impress anyone!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

After reading this, I checked the condition of my two-year-old Vasque boots. The light stitching just behind the toe area was already compromised. To improve that, I put a few new stitches in with some super strong thread. Then I covered the entire seam with epoxy. That ought to hold it.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadias as my backpacking shoe. In a good season I'll go through one pair a year (they're also my around town shoe). This year I went through one pair by July and am well into my second. Talus really tears them up, but REI's return policy is great!
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

zacjust32 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadias as my backpacking shoe. In a good season I'll go through one pair a year (they're also my around town shoe). This year I went through one pair by July and am well into my second. Talus really tears them up, but REI's return policy is great!
Would love to try those shoes, I have heard great things. But just to clarify your point about REI's return policy...you seem to indicate you are wearing a shoe you are a 'big fan' of, tearing it up with your chosen use of that shoe, and then returning to REI for a replacement pair. I hope this is not the case...it is true that REI's return policy is great (currently one year from purchase, right?), but it pales in comparison to the previous return policy, which was lifetime return/no questions asked. That was scrapped due to folks abusing the policy by using up gear and then returning it. I guess we get what we deserve.

:soapbox: OK, rant off, and all that...
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

zacjust32 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadias as my backpacking shoe. In a good season I'll go through one pair a year
Ditto the Cascadia's. If I stick to trails will get a season+ out of a pair. Off-trail, just one good outing; as noted talus eats them. That said, compared with other trail runners the "mud guard" rand prevents them getting shredded. On the last few models this was some type of rubber, on the newer ones it is cordura. Though it help lighten the shoe, no verdict yet on lifespan.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Y'all have inspired me to order a set of Superfeet for my lone peak 2.5s.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

neil d wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:51 pm
zacjust32 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadias as my backpacking shoe. In a good season I'll go through one pair a year (they're also my around town shoe). This year I went through one pair by July and am well into my second. Talus really tears them up, but REI's return policy is great!
Would love to try those shoes, I have heard great things. But just to clarify your point about REI's return policy...you seem to indicate you are wearing a shoe you are a 'big fan' of, tearing it up with your chosen use of that shoe, and then returning to REI for a replacement pair. I hope this is not the case...
If I buy a pair of shoes and they don't last me 4 months I'm gonna return them. There is a certain level of quality, durabililty and satisfaction I expect from outdoor companies, and I expect to get out more than 4 months from a pair of shoes that cost $140. If that's the case, REI and Brooks should be able to handle me. I talked to the shoe salesman at my local REI and he is in agreement with me, but his opinions don't (necessarily) reflect those of REI or Brooks. If I got a year out of them I'd be cool, but going through 2 pairs a season?

I get that it's not the most popular thing to do (and I don't like doing it on a certain level), but this is the only time I've used REI's warranty for something of this nature. And they do guarantee my satisfaction...