South Shore of Lake Italy

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

South Shore of Lake Italy

Post by stringbop »

Has anybody been thru the South Shore of Lake Italy, and if so, were traction devices needed? I plan on taking this route from Italy Pass to the JMT.
CalTopo is still showing 3 snow patches but not sure if it can be walked over without traction devices. Thanks
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: South Shore of Lake Italy

Post by Laserjet3051 »

Dont know, but Ill be there late next week, hoping for the best. This lady came over Italy Pass a few weeks ago, and while she didnt drop down to Italy Lake, she did take a lot of pictures from the pass. I cant tell which one might be Italy Lake, maybe you can?

https://backcountrypost.com/threads/bea ... erra.8781/
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I cannot comment on the current status, but you're query reminded me that I crossed a snow field on the South shore of Lake Italy back in '90-something. No traction devices. Probably the dumbest thing I've done in the backcountry. A slip would've dropped me (all loaded down) quite swiftly into the lake.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

I did a similar traverse of the S Shore last year and was there early morning. Two calving snow banks. Although not leaning steeply into the water, the snow was hard/icy in the morning. I was glad I had ice axe and crampons. Later in the day, much easier, I just used my trekking poles when the snow softened up

I had a look over there a couple weeks ago from Cox Col this year. Looked like the same snow banks were still there. You could probably check Cal Topo to confirm.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.3556 ... 0.33&a=mba
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted

Post by MRrogers »

stringbop, we were there in late July this year. The middle of the 3 snow fields was not passable for us. It is steep and would have been difficult even with crampons. We were able to hike up around it. There were cairns(ducks) to mark this higher route above the snow field. This is a current copy and paste with snow fields from caltopo.
IMG_3828.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

@mrogers Thank you for your diagram. Good to know I can bypass it. Did you need traction devices for the 3rd snow field?
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted

Post by MRrogers »

Stringbob, no traction devices needed for the 3rd snow field. It is flat terrain there. Please read my trip report for some more info. Florence lake edison lake loop 7/27 - 8/2.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I haven't been there yet this year, but can relate to Bishop Bob's post above. I had the same choice in 2017 and chose to turn around rather than risk it. I was solo, had no traction devices, and it was early morning. I figured a slide into the lake would likely mean death. I came back last year and hiked over Italy Pass into Granite Park. It was still there, so my choice not to risk the ice in 2017 was a good choice.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

@Lumbergh21 I actually read your trip report - Way Too Long Hotsprings Hike Report, 8/15 - 8/29- and that picture you posted of the snow running right into the lake is what got me worried. haha When I saw that I was thinking, no way in hell I'm going over that without traction devices!
RunningSpringRob
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RunningSpringRob »

I was just there last week and yes there were two snow fields that came down to the lake's south shore. The first I was able to wade around with no issues. How ever the second I was forced to cross, adn it was on a 30-35 degree angle. Wate for the snow to get soft and you should be fine.