2019 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Springs Fire 8/5

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Stage 1 Fire Restriction in Effect 8/5

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Stage 1 Fire Restrictions in Effect August 5, 2019
SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, Calif. August 1, 2019 – Due to decreasing fuel moistures, increase in temperatures, and increased fuel loading due to late season rains in the Kaweah River drainage, along with current moderate-high fire danger and entering into the hottest part of the year, fire danger is even more of a concern. Therefore, Stage 1 fire restrictions will be effective at noon on August 5, 2019.

“Hotter temperatures have cured annual grasses at lower elevations creating a greater risk for wildfire in our foothill areas,” said Ned Kelleher, Chief Ranger for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. “In areas where campfires are still permitted, visitors should keep fires small and fully extinguish them when unattended.”

The purpose of fire restrictions is to reduce the risk of unwanted human-caused wildfire in high-risk areas this time of year.

Therefore, directed by the Superintendent of the parks, Stage 1 Fire Restrictions will be effective at 12:00 p.m. on August 5, 2019.

- Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in South Fork campground. All fires and stoves are allowed in all other campgrounds.

- Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited below 6,000 feet in wilderness. Year-round elevation/site-specific wilderness fire restrictions also apply.

- Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in Hospital Rock and Ash Mountain picnic areas. All fires and stoves are allowed in all other designated picnic areas.

- Smoking is also prohibited below 6,000 feet, except within an enclosed vehicle, a building in which smoking is allowed, a campground or picnic area where wood and charcoal fires are allowed, or a designated smoking area.

- Gas, propane, alcohol (with and without a shutoff valve) and tablet/cube stoves are still permitted in all areas.

For information on the other fire restriction stage levels, please visit go.nps.gov/sekifirerestrictions

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Springs Fire 8/8 Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Springs Fire Update 8/14

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2019 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Post by SSSdave »

Amazing that we are now past mid August and so far this summer has had the least air quality and smoke impacts in the Sierra in over a decade. With the 3 day hot spell that ended yesterday, I had been afraid a big fire was going to appear as they usually do as I'm set to visit the Eastern Sierra. In any case all this has a way of changing rapidly and in fact another short hot spell is forecast for later this week. General air quality over the San Joaquin Valley that then blows east over the Sierra has also not been better than usual.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Spring Fire Update 8/19

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Spring Fire Update 8/21

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Spring Fire Update 8/26

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

kuhio
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kuhio »

Anyone have any info on the Taboose fire and any impacts to the high country?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I just got back to L.A. from Mammoth. Taboose TH is fully involved with visible fire and heavy smoke. There are several active hot spots as far as about 10 miles North of Taboose, but no farther South. It was impossible from the road to ascertain how far into the canyons the fire has spread, but guaranteed, nobody is exiting Taboose soon. There were several planes doing water drops and a few helicopters doing something. I saw about a dozen Cal Fire trucks going Northbound in two separate convoys. It looked like they were personnel vehicles that could carry about passengers + driver.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.