South Shore of Lake Italy

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Shore of Lake Italy

Post by robertseeburger »

I did a TR two years ago I believe, where I encountered the same snow fields. It was October , so the remaining snow was very hard.
But instead of using traction devices, I went UNDER..wading through the lake. It never got above the knees. I think I posted pics of it.
There were two sections to wade.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

robertseeburger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 pm I did a TR two years ago I believe, where I encountered the same snow fields. It was October , so the remaining snow was very hard.
But instead of using traction devices, I went UNDER..wading through the lake. It never got above the knees. I think I posted pics of it.
There were two sections to wade.
Now *that's* thinking outside of the box! =D>
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by stringbop »

I found a patch of snow that was only about 30 feet wide, so I grabbed a rock to dig in steps with. But in doing so halfway thru, dropped my hiking stick, so then had to backtrack and drop down and dig in new steps to grab the pole. Then go back up and finish the process. Made it across and down to the lake to see the snow had melted far back enough I could of just walked thru inches of water on the shore!! DOH
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Off topic a bit because it does not involve negotiating a steep snowfield, but I remember hiking from Gabbott Pass to Italy Pass via the south shore of Lake Italy in a normal snow year, and it was a tedious, dreadful talus trudge, to be avoided at all costs. A note to my self in my trail journal said: don't do that again -- hike around the lake via the north shore and save yourself a lot of grief. Doubly so if you are worried about a slick snow field.

Mike M.