drinking red / watermelon snow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

drinking red / watermelon snow

Post by frozenintime »

hey all

i found myself filtering water at the (freezing!) tarn at the top of goat crest saddle last week while staring at the watermelon snowfield that feeds it. it occurred to me that, despite its elevation, this might not be the cleanest water for me to drink. it also occurred to me that my filter might be taking care of the algae. either way, i drank the water and resolved to ask about it afterwards.

so i'm curious what anyone more experienced and/or more scientifically-minded than i am does in this situation?
i found a single 1997 study (https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S108 ... 0018-8/pdf), but it had a sample size of 6!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: drinking red / watermelon snow

Post by c9h13no3 »

Most single cell organisms are significantly larger than the 0.2 micron pores. So yeah, your filter will get rid of the algae.

If the bugs put toxic chemicals into the water, those won't be filtered necessarily, but I believe it's the bacteria itself that's bad for your health.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

noted, thanks!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I have eaten red snow on several occasions with no ill effects. It was never very much at one time, and I was younger then with a cast iron stomach, so your results may vary.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

We don't filter, except thru a hankie, and have camped downstream from red snow countless times and haven't had an issue, yet. But if someone's got more than anecdotal reports I'd be interested too.