cross country

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Eman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

cross country

Post by Eman »

Is it possible to hike Thompson canyon north to south to the PCT in Hoover wilderness.

Thanks
Eman
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: cross country

Post by grampy »

Lots of things are “possible”; maybe you should be asking 1. has anybody on HST done it? and
2. did they enjoy it ?
It looks easy enough to access the upper canyon from the Kerrick Creek trail (less than 2 miles over a low ridge). Hopefully someone can tell you how much bushwacking is involved (once you get there) heading down-canyon.
Eman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Eman »

ok, thanks. Has anybody here on HST hiked the entire Thompson or Subblefield canyons. Do you prefer north to south or the opposite ?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done Stubblefield; it is stunning. I went in from the north (Hawksbeak Peak area). The hardest part was crossing the creek once to the PCT. It is a significantly large stream! But I did it fairly early season (also had snow on the pass to the north in order to get into the canyon). But Yosemite is known for high flows early and very low flows later. Once into Stubblefield (from the north) the continuing travel down the canyon is quite easy.

There is an old guidebook to Emigrant Wilderness, Schifrin, 1990, and Stubblefield Canyon is described as a hike (Rt WB-8). Thompson Canyon is described in Route WB-9). I am not sure the book is still in print.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm There is an old guidebook to Emigrant Wilderness, Schifrin, 1990, and Stubblefield Canyon is described as a hike (Rt WB-8). Thompson Canyon is described in Route WB-9). I am not sure the book is still in print.
There are lots of (used) copies of this 1990 edition available on Amazon. You might also try your public library; the branches local to me seem to exclusively carry old (15 years minimum) editions of hiking/backpacking guidebooks (if they have any at all).

If you do a search, there are some old trip reports posted for both Stubblefield and Thompson Canyons; here is one:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... hp?t=11269