A Great Guidebook for the Wind River Range

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A Great Guidebook for the Wind River Range

Post by Harlen »

Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming is currently Lizzie and my favorite night-time reading. The "Winds" are our favorite range after the Sierra, and we are very keen to choose one of the routes in this guidebook to plan another backpacking trip around.
What a ton of information has been packed into this- the second edition of this famous guidebook. It comes with a CD, which includes some "Virtual Tours" of the routes, and a Map Appendix containing all the maps you need for all the routes. "All the 50 routes!" Yes, the author has detailed fifty different routes in her book, with excellent photos inside the book, along with color images in the CD. The maps on the CD can be downloaded onto quality paper, and used in the field.

The route lengths vary from roughly 20 to 200 miles. What makes this book exceptional, and so useful to us, is that these routes are based around off-trail travel, and many include challenging "High Routes." The sub-title for this book is "Off-Trail Routes for the Advanced Backpacker." For this edition, the author has added 3 "Thru-routes," for long distance backpackers. I keep mentioning "the author," and as it turns out, many of us here know her. The author is our "Wandering Daisy." We would have praised this guidebook to the skies no matter who created it, but it's nice that it is a member of this great forum. Check it out. Ian and Lizzie. :)
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: A Great Guidebook for the Wind River Range

Post by davidsheridan »

I think Wandering Daisy is a national treasure. I know she has inspired me and so many others and provided excellent advice on this website to make people's trips much more successful and discover are as they never would have found otherwise. To now know that she was written a guide book about cross-country travel and trails in the Wind River Range, is awesome! But it doesn't surprise me, that she helps others find amazing beautiful places. I will definitely order her book soon, and pick a trip to take and follow her path in the Winds! Thanks eternally to WD!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Best backpacking guidebook I have ever come across.
The routes are so elegantly designed.
Route #25 is a gem!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

\:D/ Haven't been this excited for a purchase in a long time! Thanks Wandering Daisy!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I was doing a search for the best guide books to the Wind Rivers, and what do I find, my favorite site High Sierra Topix had it covered! I am ready for something different than the High Sierras, and I think this is what I am going to plan for. if not this year, the next, thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I guess this would be an appropriate time to let everyone know that my book is currently out of print. I am not doing anything about it until next year. My publisher quit the publishing part of his business due to the difficulties of making a profit with increased expenses. Shipping costs have become outrageous. Sales have gone down the last few years making the demand questionable. Everything is going towards e-books. Etc.... well, not to burden everyone, but I do hope to find a way to continue. I am re-thinking everything. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

That's too bad for all of us old, paper book lovers. I already have my own dog-eared copy of your Guidebook Nancy, but I wonder if you kept a stash of them yourself. Can you sell them online? Good luck with that.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:23 am I guess this would be an appropriate time to let everyone know that my book is currently out of print. I am not doing anything about it until next year. My publisher quit the publishing part of his business due to the difficulties of making a profit with increased expenses. Shipping costs have become outrageous. Sales have gone down the last few years making the demand questionable. Everything is going towards e-books. Etc.... well, not to burden everyone, but I do hope to find a way to continue. I am re-thinking everything. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Have you considered offering it for sale through one of the print-on-demand publishers, such as www.lulu.com? You upload a PDF. When someone wants to buy it, they print one copy at a time and ship it. You can even setup a "store front" page on their site which you can publicize. Your price will have to be higher, but at least the information is still available.

-Phil
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

I agree with everyone else, this is a great guidebook. It was obviously written by someone who not only knows the area, but loves it. I'm very happy to have my own copy.

I just got the updated edition of Turiano's Select Peaks. Maybe you should talk to him about the self publishing business. His book was expensive as books go, but looks to be worth it. There are a lot of people who would happily pay $50 or more for your book if you wanted to handle everything yourself. Or the Lulu idea seems worth thinking about.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

WD, I was in the book business as a typesetter and as a small publisher for many years and dealt with a lot of self-published books and so the self-publishing industry. The only one of all the various self-publishers I would recommend is IngramSpark. (I won't go into detail as why they are the only ones worth dealing with.) IngramSpark does print-on-demand, which means you only have to print what you sell. If you have an output ready PDF file of the book, self-publishing might be possibe. You just need to create a new copyright page with the pertinent information. If this sounds interesting to you, PM me and I can provide more details.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com