Death on Mather pass

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Death on Mather pass

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Got a Garmen message from my sister and brother-in-law that a man had slipped on the south side of Mather Pass and passed away from his injuries. My sister and bro were able to be emotional support for the man's companions and then made it over the pass and are headed to toward Palisades Lake.

be careful out there.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
lizgreer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Death on Mather pass

Post by lizgreer »

This is so sad to hear. The man's daughter reached out on one of the JMT Facebook groups asking for anyone who had helped him to PM her so they could share stories and memories. The group is called "John Muir Trail Hikers 2019". (Search for Mather.) If you or your family are not on FB and don't have her contact info, please reach out to me and I can PM her on FB. I'm sure it would really help her to know all that she can. Thx. (PS: I'm heading out on a trip on Monday, returning 9/12 or so, in case you don't hear right back from me.)
IlluminataPhoto
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by IlluminataPhoto »

Wayne was an acquaintance of mine - I worked with him here in Madison in a past life. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Backpacking the JMT was one of his bucket list trips.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

My sister and brother-in-law won't be off the trail until next week, but I'll have them contact her then. Also, I am on that facebook group so I will try to find her info.
lizgreer
Topix Novice

Post by lizgreer »

ok great - let me know if you need any help finding the post.
lizgreer
Topix Novice

Post by lizgreer »

IlluminataPhoto wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:43 pm Wayne was an acquaintance of mine - I worked with him here in Madison in a past life. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Backpacking the JMT was one of his bucket list trips.
So sad. Sounds like he was well-respected in his community.
mannywilliam
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mannywilliam »

Hi,
I was hiking just a few hours behind the fatal accident and watched the EMT and the helicopter as they worked the rescue. I met a woman named Christy and her friend Dave from Albuquerque who were among the first on the scene. I've not seen any reports on the fatality, so I appreciate seeing this information and the kind words you all are sharing. Bill Manny, Boise, Idaho
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

mannywilliam wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:48 pm Hi,
I was hiking just a few hours behind the fatal accident and watched the EMT and the helicopter as they worked the rescue. I met a woman named Christy and her friend Dave from Albuquerque who were among the first on the scene. I've not seen any reports on the fatality, so I appreciate seeing this information and the kind words you all are sharing. Bill Manny, Boise, Idaho
Did you meet Woman Who Sings and John Deere? They're my sister and BIL and were also two hours behind Wayne heading NOBO.