4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

Post by Harlen »

Oleander wrote:
...OTOH, I started to wonder what I’d think if I was dead and looking down from the sky upon a group of 13 people deliberately wandering the least-pleasant talus for a fourth summer, to find my bones. I wondered if I might like to shake those people and say: STOP. You have made your attempt. Now let go. Go wander some pretty valleys. Go on a real backpacking or climbing trip. Go have fun. I’d rather watch you have fun.
That's a very interesting point Lisa. I never considered our work from Matthew's perspective, whom I view as sadly dead and gone. OTOH, aren't we performing this effort for MG's family?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I don't have time to research where the search has covered already but I saw on Facebook that someone found an ice axe in a snowfield near Lake Catherine... https://www.facebook.com/groups/7204520 ... 541432950/
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Unfortunately it was not Matthew's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by narkj »

Hey all, it's Jason, the (so-called) journalist. I have been writing and rewriting this story for years now and I believe this trip helped me find an ending. That's difficult, because the searching for a missing person or their remains often has no real ending, nothing to bury.

I have a botany question that perhaps Bill could answer. On the Thursday up there, I went on a short hike with Maverick, Dave and Clark to Volanic Ridge (I had to turn back because of my tent). We were bushwhacking through some chest high vegetation, some kind of shrub I assume, in a valley up there near the tungsten mine. It reminded me of mountain laurel back east, but more dense. Anyone know what it could have been?

Lisa, I've often pondered the same questions, about why people search, what exactly closure means and I still don't really know.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

narkj wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 am I have a botany question that perhaps Bill could answer. On the Thursday up there, I went on a short hike with Maverick, Dave and Clark to Volanic Ridge (I had to turn back because of my tent). We were bushwhacking through some chest high vegetation, some kind of shrub I assume, in a valley up there near the tungsten mine. It reminded me of mountain laurel back east, but more dense. Anyone know what it could have been?
Hi Jason -
Hopefully someone has photos of the shrubs you saw. If so, I'd be happy to give a try at an ID. Do you remember who you were with?
Bill
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Jason wrote:
It reminded me of mountain laurel back east, but more dense. Anyone know what it could have been?
We have a couple of dense, but low-growing flowers in the Heath family- Ericaceae- related to your eastern Kalmia. One is often called "Bog laurel," and the Latin for it is either Kalmia polifolia, K. microphylla, or K. polifolia ssp. microphylla, depending on your favorite botanist. You can check these out in "Calflora" Jason.

Another very similar species is the "Red mountain heather," Phyllodoce brewerii, which is found in similar habitats; I believe both could have been present where you guys were hiking, though the latter species is the more common.

Good luck, Ian.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dETPPMGqwn1fDjaZ8

*Couldn't manage to upload a Kalmia image..... Bill?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here's a link to Kalmia - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/29720924
I just looked through all my photos of the area and only thing I can see that would be "chest high vegetation" would be willows.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Yeah, some of the areas around the tungsten mine is choked with willows.
narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by narkj »

From Clark's photos. This particular photo appears to be the stuff I'm thinking of.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 59&o=OneUp
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm no botanist, but they look like willows to me. Get those, some aspens, and then carry some skis on your back and see how fast you go...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.