TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the very entertaining trip report. Paired with great photos! A perfect combination -- your appreciation and gratitude for the trip are apparent in your writing.

I cracked up at the mental image you provided here:
mckee80 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:14 pmUnfortunately, our fishing setup was lacking, to say the least. At the last minute, we picked up some line, a couple lures, and some sinkers, thinking we could use our hiking poles as rods. We're not good fishermen with a legit setup, so that kind of went as we expected it to.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Mckee80 wrote:
Nice work! I think it took me until 45 to start backpacking because it is so beer unfriendly. One of our biggest challenges is trying to figure out how much whiskey we can fit in the bear can.
It took me awhile to perfect this, but the secret is to just pour the whiskey or brandy out of the bottles and into the bottom* of the bearcan. It's the bottle(s) that takes up an awkward amount of space. Most packaged foodstuff will happily float in the whiskey, but things like the instant oatmeal, chocolate, and crackers in paper and cardboard containers will become sodden. It's not a problem though as the whiskey flavor blends well with everything!

*midway up the bearcan on long trips.
miter basin-019.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

jhfowler wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:04 pm Great TR! It reminded me of my own trip through Bear Lake Basin:

https://jimmyjamhikingclub.com/2018/08/ ... bbot-pass/
Thanks! As a trip report fanboy, I’ve read many of your reports. Thank you for posting them.

And I actually looked at slope angle shading before I went. I was going to bring the problematic parts, but I forgot. I think I made the mistake of thinking it would be obvious (it was not :)). I was more worried about going up the other side. Looking at your picture, it makes sense how much that sucked!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

windknot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 pm Thanks for the very entertaining trip report. Paired with great photos! A perfect combination -- your appreciation and gratitude for the trip are apparent in your writing.

I cracked up at the mental image you provided here:
mckee80 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:14 pmUnfortunately, our fishing setup was lacking, to say the least. At the last minute, we picked up some line, a couple lures, and some sinkers, thinking we could use our hiking poles as rods. We're not good fishermen with a legit setup, so that kind of went as we expected it to.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this.
Glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast sitting on my chair at Bearpaw Lake watching my buddy try to cast. Very entertaining!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 pm
It took me awhile to perfect this, but the secret is to just pour the whiskey or brandy out of the bottles and into the bottom of the bearcan.
It is this kind of experience and knowledge that makes this board so essential to trip planning. Thank you!
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

great report. lovely pics! sorry, I just now noticed your PM on the subject..by the looks of this report you did juuuust fine. excellent work.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

What a great trip report through probably my favorite region in the Sierra. I get a clear sense of your awe and gratitude in your writing, which reminds me of how good it feels to be in the mountains. Thanks so much for sharing. And good work too, certainly not a "walk in the park." I had to laugh at your comment about quitting backpacking... Temporarily. Haha, I've been there many times. In a lightening storm, "why do I do this to myself!?" And then you see the rainbow and say.. ahhh, that's why!
xcountry rider
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by xcountry rider »

What a great trip report with amazing photos too! Thank you for sharing.