possible relocation of trip 9/26-9/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: possible relocation of trip 9/26-9/28

Post by Ultrajen »

I've read you don't need permits in Jennie . . . Lost lake looks beautiful. Probably too many miles for my son on day one but we can stop on way. I like the idea of a fire at those temps :) I've never backcountry camped anywhere that allowed a fire!
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

If you spend all your nights in Jenny Lakes Wilderness, you do not need a wilderness permit (only a “CA Fire Permit”). If you spend any nights inside the park, you need a SEKI permit. But you will be starting after the “quota” season ends, so getting a permit shouldn’t be a problem; just walk up to the permit counter at Grant Grove Visitors Center. See the following (esp. page 8) for details:
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... inal-3.pdf
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I’ve decided on putting in the extra drive and going to Mammoth for the lower elevation. Back up plan would be Sabrina or 20 lakes basin.
Can someone tell me two things
1. if Ediza or Mineret is easier in terms of one way elevation gain? My son is not in the shape I am but loves to backpack and he’s pretty tough. When I see the distance and elevation change I never know if that means one way or both.

2. If we get a same day permit and hike in the afternoon looks like they both have a spot you can camp add a small leak or meadow just a few miles in.

I know these are in a similar area and both look really beautiful but open to any opinions Especially if one does not get sunlight half the day or something as it will be really cold
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ultrajen wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 am 1. if Ediza or Mineret is easier in terms of one way elevation gain? My son is not in the shape I am but loves to backpack and he’s pretty tough. When I see the distance and elevation change I never know if that means one way or both.
Depends on your trailhead, but the trip to Ediza is easier. The Agnew trail head starts higher, and Ediza is 500 ft lower than Minaret.

Mammoth isn't going to be *that* much warmer. You don't have to backpack, an AirBnB is very comfortable this time of year and all your destinations are day hikable. :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

At this time of year temperatures at destinations are more likely a result of overall regional weather plus location topography and not simply elevation. In other words, when a cold front comes down from the north, it is going to be chillier at all elevations. At 8,000 feet all else equal, if it is 45F at 6am it would be 42F at 9,000 and 39F at 10,000 feet. Depending on topography during mornings when winds are light, it can be colder at 8,000 than 10,000 if cold air from higher elevations has sumped down to that location that has an air dam. That is why places like Truckee, CA during sunrise at 5.6k is often frosty near 32F while up at Donner Summit at 7k may just be 45F. The Truckee Meadows atmospherically is a large "air lake" cold air from above pools down into. It cannot readily escape that area because down canyon, the Truckee River goes through a narrow canyon that constricts that pool of air from escaping.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.6769 ... 4&z=14&b=t

In order to evaluate the effort to reach whatever destinations, instead of trying to find trail information online, what most of we experienced backpackers do is get that information from topographic maps. Thus for anyone with even the most basic math skills, one adds up elevation lines on up hills and subtracts lines on downhills. Mileage one can crudely estimate likewise by measuring with the map scale. Become familiar with caltopo.com. Doing so one will find Ediza less elevation gain and mileage versus Minaret Lake. Taking 2 days to reach either lakes ought not be an issue for someone not in great shape. However either in a single day may be unpleasant.

As for locations to camp at, just like along most other trails along streams in the Sierra, one can stop to camp just about anywhere as one will likely find already used tentable spots. Just don't confine your campsite hunting to places in view of trails that per policy one really ought not be targeting. Rather stop, drop your gear, grab your water bottle, and enjoy hunting around for 10 minutes or so. Novices may feel insecure tenting away from being in sight of trails where other hikers cannot see them and black bears would agree.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I’ve decided to go north to Mammoth for the lower elevations if I can get a walk in Permit. Can someone give me an opinion if mineret or ediza is easier? The elevation gain looks more to mineret? I’m in shape my son not so much. Both look gorgeous. Also if there is anything I’m not thinking about like if one of them doesn’t get sun until noon or something. If we get a same day Permit we will probably hike in a few miles to the first Camping location. If we get the next day permit we will go all the way to Ediza or mineret with lots of trail mix :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Ediza is less strenuous, and the trail in is more scenic, with Shadow Lake on the way. 🙂
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ultrajen wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:58 pm Can someone give me an opinion if mineret or ediza is easier?
c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am Depends on your trailhead, but the trip to Ediza is easier.
Clearly, I do not count as "someone". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

What SSSdave said “one can stop to camp just about anywhere” is generally true, but there are exceptions; for the Shadow Creek trail (to Ediza) read THIS:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... ecid=21272
For a shorter first day, you can just turn off onto the JMT about 3/4 mile west of Shadow Lake (a bit less than 5 miles, + 1450’ gain from Agnew Meadow) and go a few dozen yards north to camp. Return back to Shadow Creek trail the next day and continue to Ediza.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I thought the river trail was the main trail head. What is the alternative? Definitely looking for the shortest route for my 16-year-old.