SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice as always, Fish. Thanks for posting
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Dude! Like, that is unreal man!

We love "Moonrise over Wanda Lake!!!"
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Glad you all like the shot. The night up there was likely my best astro photo night of the summer. After grabbing a few Milky Way shots around 9:30pm, I got up again to grab the place in full moon light, but it was just coming up. Looking back, I think this is better than the valley completely bathed in moon light The light pollution in the west makes this a rather odd lighting situation and your brain is wondering what exactly is going on. The moon isn't creating that light seen in the distant haze, just what hits the top of Mt Solomons and Wanda. Maybe too complicated to process for some who have never seen anything like the in the real world, because people who saw the image on Flickr actually liked the below image much more (by a factor of 10).

Morning Clouds above the Pass

Here's another one from the early morning before sunrise looking down at Wanda. I didn't sleep much that night - 5 people on the pass, and there of them up and around all night with their cameras.

Dawn in Kings Canyon National Park

It has been 5 summers since I last crossed Muir pass. One thing that has changed over the years: inside the hut it used to smell like marmot urine - now all you can smell is pot :D More of that added by the two guys who didn't take pictures that night, but I am sure they enjoyed their stay immensely.

The "Ascent" dispensary opened in Mammoth this summer...
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

fishmonger wrote:"
Maybe too complicated to process for some who have never seen anything like the in the real world, because people who saw the image on Flickr actually liked the below image much more (by a factor of 10).
I have another theory for the taste in those photos noted above. I think in the Muir Hut image you have outdone yourself again. It doesn't have the "magic wand," otherworldly feel of your night shot, but instead, you have created something else that is very special. In the way you have "posed" Muir Hut against the peak to its left, which is so nearly its twin in form, you evoke the feeling of our belonging to the planet. Manmade Muir Hut in your image is seen as such an artful testament to the immense granite peaks around it- like it were a child of these mountains.
We humans, as the one animal so out of sync with nature, rarely get to experience this connection, and I think you image captures it wonderfully.
Kudos.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

yeah, right, that is what it was :)

actually, I don't overthink any of this. My landscape shots are a matter of "I shoot what I see." In this case I was already walking away from the pass with my pack on. Turning back I noticed the clouds looked interesting, especially after many days without any clouds. Continued to walk until the image "looked right" - click - and on to the next photo stop along the way. I did study a few semesters of photography, but never got into much of the theoretical stuff such as rules of thirds, zone systems, etc., but I remember my teacher said that I "had the eye" and I have been relying on that instinct of what makes a good image ever since.

I spend far more time thinking about composition, light, shutter speeds, etc when I shoot race cars, something I do far more often than landscape photography. I will be doing that again next weekend at Road Atlanta.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

the dude said:
actually, I don't overthink any of this.
Isn't that just what a real genius would say?

We're onto you man. :nod:

carl book 063.JPG
Red Dog in Mountains
Note the juxtaposition of animal and landscape... and the additional juxtaposition (*word de jour)
of the elements: snow-rock-dog-sky.... and the interplay of colors- red fur and blue sky. :D

I added drama to the image by including the felonious Red Dog in a National Park, (for which viewers & readers gave me a lot of $h&!.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

Humphreys Basin panorama, from Mt Humphreys
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Lake Virginia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As I looked at old photos to re-posted photos of Corridor Pass from a 2015 yesterday, I also ran across these photos. First is near Dorothy Lake and the white rock formation almost looks like a glacier! A storm hit when I was camped at Constance Lake, which also highlights the colorful formations in storm lighting. I am not a good enough photographer to do the scenes justice. For some of our really good photographers in this forum, I would highly recommend this area for some amazing shots.
1510_ViewE_WhiteMtn_ALT_edited-1.jpg
1509-10_merge_ALT_edited-1.jpg
1594_storm_ConstanceL.jpg
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Catching up with the sun on Bishop Pass

Hello sun